Boiler Care Plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These are all rubbish right?

Our boiler recently went wrong, new PCB needed.

I have a local independant chap who services it every year and he fixed this issue. Really like using this guy as he is honest, reliable, does good work, and charges a reasonable rate. Would like to keep using him but I could do without surpises like then one recently. Are there any plans where you can get cover for parts and fitting but still use contractors of your choosing?

All the care plans by the likes of BG, NPower etc mean that they select the staff and sometimes sub the work out to any old oik.

Sponsored Links
Are there any plans where you can get cover for parts and fitting but still use contractors of your choosing?

Only if the contractor of your choosing registers with and charges the plan provider less, for parts & labour, than the contractor of their choosing.

These are all rubbish right?

Our boiler recently went wrong, new PCB needed.

I have a local independant chap who services it every year and he fixed this issue. Really like using this guy as he is honest, reliable, does good work, and charges a reasonable rate. Would like to keep using him but I could do without surpises like then one recently. Are there any plans where you can get cover for parts and fitting but still use contractors of your choosing?

All the care plans by the likes of BG, NPower etc mean that they select the staff and sometimes sub the work out to any old oik.

All these daft plans are a waste of money mate. The best thing to do is put a few bob into a Bank Account every month, then you've got money to pay your Engineer when you've got problems.
BG make a fortune from people with their plans.

Blue-Fin Insurance do a plan, that covers boiler + option for system cover, on paying your own engineer for the repair, you send of the receipt to Blue-fin for re-imbursement (less the policy excess) I have a number of clients using the scheme and all are happy with the cover ;)

Sponsored Links
These plans work on the likelihood that the majority of policy holders will pay in more than they claim back in repair costs, otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Good independents like your engineer will be losing out to these types of policies, as customers only see the monthly premium and forget about the professional service offered by good engineers. If you have found a good engineer, stay with him, and do what Delta says - ie. self-insure.

Support your local independent!!

Blue-Fin Insurance do a plan, that covers boiler + option for system cover, on paying your own engineer for the repair, you send of the receipt to Blue-fin for re-imbursement (less the policy excess) I have a number of clients using the scheme and all are happy with the cover ;)

Good suggestion. Not heard of this type of policy.

In the long run it is cheaper to pay for repairs when you need them
rather than an insurance scheme/cover plan.
The only ones who win are the companies and you will end up paying more.

Bg dont sub contract repair work, they get subbies to do the services. One call out a year pays its self and you get your boiler serviced and unlimited callouts. Here we go again with the bg bashing.

It is a waste of money.

You pay £20-30 a month and if your boiler doesnt breakdown you wasted £2-300 for nothing.

If there is a breakdown the chaps come down usually clueless on whats goen wrong, order the wrong part come back a week later and still not fixed.

I know one chap who keeps all major boiler parts in his van (its like a merchants in there) he is pricey yet he will fix it most of the time on the spot. Its well worth it for the wintery months we get.

I had a boiler issue last year called about 4 different chaps out and they didnt have the slightest clue on whats wrong, this chap came said it will be £230 for the PCB and £70 labour and done it in less than 45mins.

It is a waste of money.

You pay £20-30 a month and if your boiler doesnt breakdown you wasted £2-300 for nothing.

If there is a breakdown the chaps come down usually clueless on whats goen wrong, order the wrong part come back a week later and still not fixed.

I know one chap who keeps all major boiler parts in his van (its like a merchants in there) he is pricey yet he will fix it most of the time on the spot. Its well worth it for the wintery months we get.

I had a boiler issue last year called about 4 different chaps out and they didnt have the slightest clue on whats wrong, this chap came said it will be £230 for the PCB and £70 labour and done it in less than 45mins.

Waste of money you say. What boiler do you have?

You paid £300 for a pcb to be supplied+fitted and would still have to pay out for an annual service.

A basic insurance cover would have been at least £100 less and included an annual service/inspection.

Even a fixed price repair would have been alot cheaper from the manufacturers

I dont normally bite at posts in the P&H forum but this wound me up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back