Vailant Repair and Care Plan ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like my Heat Exchanger has packed up on my Vailant Boiler, had BG Gas engineer come in to check it today and they said its the Heat Exchanger...i signed up to British Gas Home care (REGRETABBLY and MISTAKENLY! few days ago) Took out their "Repair and Cover" Plan at around £27 per month, the guy i spoke to said everything would be covered for the initial repair if i went for this option and it would start straight away and they would fix it regardless..this was the first visit..

Engineer came around and then said Heat Exchanger needs replacing and i'll give you a quote for it, came out with some ridiculous figure of £1000+, I cancelled my plan immediately with BG as i was still in the cooling period and told them whoever i spoke to missold it as they told me if i took the plan out everythin would be covered regardless...obviously this was not the case..but anyway i'm done with them time to move on..

I spoke to Vailant directly and the guy told me to take out this plan, as im sure its the heat exchanger that has gone since BG Diagnosed this, Their Repair and Care Plan which Vailant told me to go for which would cover cost for everything and he said everything is included

I'm i missing something here? The Plan costs £374 see below spread over 6 months, but im sure the Heat exchanger itself cost way more than this? How are they making money here or i'm i missing something

i asked the guy multiple times over when i spoke to him saying If i take this plan out and the heat exchanger needs to be replaced will you do it with no additional cost..he goes yes its all included...........

This is whats they advertising

Repair & Care plan
£374.70
service fee
Repair & Care is a maintenance & support plan for your broken-down boiler, providing a one-off repair (where repairable) and then ongoing maintenance and support for your boiler and controls, to help ensure they continue to work correctly and to minimise the chances of mechanical and electrical breakdown. If you have taken out a Repair & Care plan, you have a no fix no fee promise. If the expert engineer can't fix the initial fault or if the boiler is beyond economic repair, you'll get a full refund of any monies paid up under the plan until that point - no questions asked. This maintenance & support plan is provided by Domestic & General Services Limited. The plan provides you with maintenance and support services to help keep your boiler properly maintained, supported and in good working order.
£62.45 a month for 6 months totalling £374.70 (inc. VAT) by Direct Debit

Initial repair up to the value of £1,500 if your boiler stops working and repair by one of our Gas Safe engineers to get your boiler back up and running.

Ongoing hint and tips to help keep your boiler in good working order.

Our Gas Safe engineers will perform maintenance checks at the same time as your initial repair to help maintain your boiler.

Exclusive access to Domestic & General's Boiler Care portal to keep your boiler in good working order.
Option selected

Sponsored Links
No personal experience but there is a guide linked below. One point I noticed (no idea how accurate the info is but maybe worth asking).

Exclusions

All policies come with a list of exclusions and it is important that you check what these are before you take out any form of cover. The full list of exclusions will be located in Vaillant’s terms and conditions, but the main ones include:

Damage that occurs as a result of limescale, sludge, calcifications or other hard water deposits.

Intentional or malicious damage

Installation of non-Vaillant parts

You noted above that you get your money back if the fault can't be fixed?

Which boiler is it? I would imagine HX retail prices are pretty inflated. Would expect the cost to Vaillant to be less than £200. Many are off the shelf units used by multiple manufacturers.

The Vaillant plan specifically excludes the HeX, shop around, they are available much cheaper than the headline price, and it seems it should be two hours labour for someone competent to replace it.

On this page Vaillant seem to have two schemes. The fixed price repair specifically excludes the heat exchanger but the "Repair & Care" doesn't seem to. As far as I can see, anyway! Weird as they seem to be almost exactly the same price. Also some exclusions:

Main exclusions of the Repair & Care plan include: scale, sludge and hidden pipework, repairs related to the installation of the boiler, cosmetic or malicious damage, and indirect costs e.g. gas supply

Sponsored Links
No personal experience but there is a guide linked below. One point I noticed (no idea how accurate the info is but maybe worth asking).

You noted above that you get your money back if the fault can't be fixed?

Which boiler is it? I would imagine HX retail prices are pretty inflated. Would expect the cost to Vaillant to be less than £200. Many are off the shelf units used by multiple manufacturers.

Thanks! its an Ecofitpure 830

On this page Vaillant seem to have two schemes. The fixed price repair specifically excludes the heat exchanger but the "Repair & Care" doesn't seem to. As far as I can see, anyway! Weird as they seem to be almost exactly the same price. Also some exclusions:

Yup i think there was a £10 difference between both, Vaillant Engineer is coming out tomorrow so will feedback as to how it goes, the repair only option did exclude Heat Exchanger but Repair an Care doesnt

British Gas came out today and concluded it was the Heat Exchanger
Will see what Vaillant diagnose it with!

Will be interested to see how it turns out.

How old is the boiler? Presumably out of warranty.

Will be interested to see how it turns out.

How old is the boiler? Presumably out of warranty.
Yeh boiler was out of warranty just expired few months ago its about just over 7 years old...
Soo basically its all fixed and working now!

it was the Heat Exchanger that needed replacing in the end and the Repair and Care Plan that i subscribed to, covered this! Had no additional charges or anything, he came in yesterday diagnosed the problem but didnt have the part so ordered it and came back next day today and fixed it and Boiler is now all working good as new!

I'm not really complaining saved myself a lot of money + also protection now for the next 6 months, considering i contacted few other companies to see how much it would cost i was getting quotes in the region of £800-£1000 just to replace the Heat Exchanger

The Engineer that came over was very professional and from Vaillant direct

So just something to bear in mind if anyone has something similar!

Thanks for reporting back. That is such a bargain. I still can't see what is in it for them. Maybe they hope to keep you as a customer after the six months. I think that is where the Vaillant Maintenance and Support Plan Gold and Platinum schemes come in. It seems really strange for a company to have all these different schemes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back