Replace Baxi Bermuda Back Boiler or Repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is heated by a Baxi Bermuda 675C back boiler. BG tell me it's from 1977. They refused (First Inspection) to take it on a Homecare contract (stated heat exchanger leaking) but quoted to replace the heat exchanger (in writing part number 364574) for £436.

I've used the boiler with just 2 repairs - including HE in 2002 - for 15 years.

The lowest quote I have for a new boiler (Vailant or WB) in new location (cellar) is £2600. I have 3 quotes. The most expensive is nearer £4k.

I know I'll save money on gas with a new boiler, but it will take many years to save £2600 - even if I have to spend £439 on the new heat excahnger.

OK so I know the Baxi Bermuda is old school, but one of the heating engineers who came to quote said it has much less maintenance than a new boiler.

So should I repair or replace?

Sponsored Links
its personal preferrence, and a question of how much you can afford right now.

If your happy with it, why change now?

Is it the actual exchanger thats leaking or the gasket between the 2 sections.
675 is from 1974 .
Did you see the leak ? how bad did it look

675 is from 1974 .

I would say the leak is slight. I wasn't aware of it before it was serviced. But now I can hear the small 'explosive' sounding drops on start up but I can't hear them once temperature is reached (unlike the last time the HE was replaced).

The BG engineer said it was the HE, not the gasket, and that's the part he's quoted for. I didn't know about the gasket until I searched online.

From what I've heard leaving the leak to get worse is only likely to cause damage to other parts.

What would you say - repair or replace?

Sponsored Links
If the rest of the boiler is fine, I would be repairing. Just make sure the system is clean and inhibitor added, but even more important, make sure the BBU is serviced yearly. I know an old school plumber who has a spares stash from his BG days for a BBU of this vintage. Swears he will still have it in 20 years, because he is desperate to avoid modern boilers. And he's as tight as a DA!

If you do replace, go for a good heat-only boiler.

675 is from 1974 .

Gasket change.... still enjoy doing them. As for the heat ex - have 3 of them in the lock up - and only a 20 minute drive to North London. If your south of Camden, bengasman will surely pick that job up?

If it is a gasket, then can be done with bungs.

It seems a very expensive quote to replace!

I find it difficult to charge more than £1600 for a heat only boiler replacement.

Tony

Am coming round to the idea of repairing rather than replacing.

Misterdubya the job is in Ealing.

I'm a longtime lurker but only signed up to ask this query of you professional Gas Safe engineers. The advice has been refreshing and persuasive.

Getting quotes for a new boiler is like asking a car salesman if it is time to trade-up.

It seems a very expensive quote to replace!

I find it difficult to charge more than £1600 for a heat only boiler replacement.

Tony

Do you... even if your converting from Gravity Hot Water to Fully pumped?
And before you ask oh wise one, no, you didn't ask did you? :rolleyes: Stick to your multimeter and leave the installs to those that know what their doing.

How you can say you find it difficult to charge more than £1600 for a heat only boiler once again leaves members of the public thinking that is all it will cost. When will you ever learn - and dont worry, I won't go bleating to those in the CC about how your underminding the trade. £100 quid for 3 rads and pipework and now bbu out (and possibly conversion to fully pumped) for £1600 is plain stupidy. ;) You offer no good advice to be honest.

I'd just repair it. Another 30 years of loyal service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back