CH won't fire. HW works fine. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've changed the batteries & re-synced the RF roomstat, which all did as it's meant to. Other than that, nothing - no lights on the boiler, pump doesn't kick in, no movement on the motorised valve (The HW works fine - boiler, pump, etc). Any ideas?... My system is as follows:

• Baxi Solo 24HE conventional boiler
• Honeywell ST9400C programmer
• Honeywell HCW80 roomstat RF sender
• Honeywell R6660D roomstat RF receiver
• Honeywell V4043H1056 two port valve (x2)
• Honeywell sundial plan wiring centre
• Grundfos Alpha2 L 15-60 130 pump

Thanks, Ben.

Sponsored Links
Motor or micro switch failure on zone valve. :idea:
Thanks, is there any way I can tell whether it's the motor or microswitch at fault?

Or should I just replace the cheapest component first & see if that works?

Also, until it's fixed, is it okay to manually open the two port to provide me with some CH while the HW is on?

Open it manually with the CH selected to on, demand on roomstat, hot water off. See if it fires the boiler. Although, if it doesn't move when there's a demand for CH, then it's probably the motor.

Sponsored Links
Open it manually with the CH selected to on, demand on roomstat, hot water off. See if it fires the boiler. Although, if it doesn't move when there's a demand for CH, then it's probably the motor.
Hi, the boiler doesn't fire when I open it manually either...

I've taken the cover off the two port & there's definitely no movement when the CH is switched on. However, if I push the brass arm across to the microswitch internally, it fires, pump kicks in too.

Does this point to the motor?

It will be the motor. If you have the means then you can test to see if there is 230v to it just to be 100% sure. New motor readily obtainable and simple to replace. Work safe.

It will be the motor. If you have the means then you can test to see if there is 230v to it just to be 100% sure. New motor readily obtainable and simple to replace. Work safe.
Unwired the motor & did a continuity test using a multimeter. Each time, it quickly flashes up a reading somewhere between 500-2000, then goes back to 1 very quickly. No audible beep... Testing the multimeter on other metal objects produces a beep every time & a 1-500 reading. I guess it's the motor then?

(Apologies if I'm stating the obvious, it's just that I've rarely used a multimeter before & am unsure if the readings are relevant) :oops:

Little point in having a meter if you cannot use it!

The valve motors have a resistance of about 2200 ohms.

Yours is probably open circuit !

Tony

Little point in having a meter if you cannot use it!
It was a freebie. A mate gave it to me when he bought a new one. Thought it might come in handy one day.

The valve motors have a resistance of about 2200 ohms.

Yours is probably open circuit !

Tony
D'oh! Yeah, didn't think of that :oops:

Anyway, turns out it's not the motor, or in fact the two port valve at all... Just popped out & bought some bits - changed the motor, nothing. Changed the whole head/actuator, still nothing! :(

What I should try next?

As Pete said a while ago you should have tested to see if 230v was being provided to the valve motor ( before changing it ).

Timeclock or roomstat I expect now!

Tony

As Pete said a while ago you should have tested to see if 230v was being provided to the valve motor ( before changing it ).
Yeah, I think I misinterpreted that :oops: ...

Anyhow, I got my money back on the motor & head/actuator, no probs.

Timeclock or roomstat I expect now!

Tony
After a quick lesson on how to use a multimeter from my mate, I found that there was no live coming from the "CH on" programmer wire. Took the facia off the programmer, and found that enough dust/grit had dropped down between the facia & backplate, that it'd broken the contact between the CH pin & wire (I'm currently redoing the ceiling in that room). A quick clean & job done :)

Thanks to all who posted :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back