New boiler or not?

Reaction score
Country
Spain
We have a vaillant combi boiler (es 280-5) in our house, or rather it is outside in a little hut but for the past 14 years it has performed pretty well.

For 10 years we had a maintenance contract from the guarantee and several parts were replaced in that time but since then we have had it services each year but recently the boiler has been behaving strangely.

Sometimes the CH water does not seem to be flowing in the pipes even though the thermostat has tuned it on. Switching the boiler off then on again seems to prompt it back into action but often there is a loud clunk from within the boiler when this happens. Also we sometimes get the same clunking when the heating fires up or turns off.

After some googling, it would seem that we have a pretty common fault ie the diverter valve not working correctly. It seems to answer all the symptoms so for the first big question.

Should we pay and have it replaced or do we need to think of getting a new boiler????

A new boiler will be well over 2k euros but I have no idea how much a replacement diverter valve would be to install - and of course I would expect much higher efficiency from a new condensing boiler than what I get at the moment - so for the second question

Is that difference in running costs going to be worth the outlay of a new boiler?

And the third and final question, how much more usefull life could I expect from my current bouiler once repaired?

Sponsored Links
A new boiler will be well over 2k euros but I have no idea how much a replacement diverter valve would be to install - and of course I would expect much higher efficiency from a new condensing boiler than what I get at the moment - so for the second question

Is that difference in running costs going to be worth the outlay of a new boiler?

And the third and final question, how much more usefull life could I expect from my current bouiler once repaired?

You need an engineer to properly diagnose, but if the diverter should be approx £200 -250 fitted. I wouldn't advocate a new boiler just to save money on gas, but at 14 years, your current boiler is reaching the end of it's life.

Surprised to hear you're on Euros in Sussex though! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back