Clunking Heating System

Off the top of my head I'm at work right now, it's a Baxi 105e and yes we do have TRVs fitted (something else that we've done....could that be the cause?)

Will get Allan to check the pipe from the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Might be trv's...check when it's making the noise, if adjust trv setting does it stop?

Some trv's can be put on either way, others have to put only in direction of flow (should have an arrow on them)...if they're put on the wrong way round can cause a hammering noise.

Check out this link:

http://www.extra.rdg.ac.uk/wkc1/DIY/gch.operation/msg00046.html

which gives good an explanation - to eliminate this from possibilities.

Sponsored Links
would be worth opening all trvs full then shutting down one at a time and wait for the clunk

is there a bypass or auto bypass fitted :?:

me mam always said i should have been a plumber :LOL:

Don't know about the bypass thing, Allan is at work right now, will ask him when he gets in....and will get him to read the link...no way can he have fitted the TRV's the wrong way round (would never happen....he's a man :)

Prior to him reading this I just wondered, the clunking/banging noise doesn't actually come from the valve, the noise comes from nowhere near the actual radiators....could that still be the TRVs?

Does happen, even to a man ;)

Could still be trv's...at one place had two engineers trying to figure out how this noise was occuring...moved about aswell...bit of mystery...only clue was if adjusted trv where pipe run noise was near stopped. After lots of searching found this out as possibility and then checked and 'three' of the eight trv's were on wrong way! Drain down and put back right way...no more probs!

Might not be this but easy to check.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for all the help and tips, we'll investigate it over the weekend....hopefully I won't need to post again about this, but Allan doesn't think any of the TRVs are the wrong way round!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back