Central heating loud rumbling noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help.

For the past 12 months we've had a horrible 'clunking' then rumbling noise coming from somewhere within our central heating system. We have a 2 port valve above our combi boiler that seems to make a loud 'clunk', but the rumble seems to be coming from under floorboards whenever a TRV reaches temp and switches off, or the main room thermostat hits temperature. It has become unbearable over the past 2 weeks and is now waking everyone up in the house. I've managed to film the valve switching off so the 'clunk' noise can be heard (struggling to attach the file, will try and upload later), followed by the rumble but this is much quieter and less 'fierce' than usual. The rubble almost sounds like its coming from everywhere under the floor. The noise is at it's worst about 5:00 in the morning.

I should add there's another valve in our kitchen near the UFH pump and this also makes a quieter 'clunk' and rumble.

We've had 3 plumbers look at it so far but none have had any luck solving the problem.

Please, please, please help if possible

Sponsored Links
Without hearing the noise it’s hard but if you’ve had 3 plumbers around maybe get a big name firm in

I've uploaded the video onto YouTube so hopefully this link will work???

If you can have a listen/watch that would be great

Sounds like rapid closure of a valve, resulting in a water shock wave causing vibration of a length of pipework. Vented or sealed system?

Sponsored Links
It's a combi boiler on a sealed system. I hope that is right!

Well that rules out the float-valve on a F&E tank as a possible culprit.

I've now attached a pic of the UFH pump setup. This also 'clunks' and rumbles when the thermostat gets to temperature and the valve switches off, but it's not as bad as the main valve above the boiler.

Can it be the valves since the noise happens when they switch off? The 'clunk' sounds like it comes from the valve but the rumble sounds like it's comeing from everywhere under the floorboards. One of the plumbers who's looked at it has mentioned he couldn't see a bypass???

Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• UFH01.jpg
    UFH01.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 242
Seems one of the plumbers got it right, you need an automatic bypass installed before the zone valve above the boiler.

Thank you. This is good to know.

I've attached another pic. showing the room available above the boiler. I'm guessing they didn't installed a bypass because things are so tight???
Would the bypass above the boiler stop the 'clunk' and rumble from the UFH pump?

Is there a temporary fix I can do until we're out of lockdown?

Thanks again

Attachments

• space above boiler.jpg
    space above boiler.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 186
Lotso_O

These pics any good?

Attachments

• boiler.jpg
    boiler.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 318
  • under boiler.jpg
    under boiler.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 288
It looks like you have a flow and return under the boiler, still a bit tight but doable.

What part of the country are you in ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back