Worth changing to combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

My central heating system was installed in year 2000 and consists of a Pottterton Profile 50e boiler (Fanned balanced flue gas fired boiler). The system is an open vented gravity domestic hot water system with a pumped central heating system. The system has not been serviced since installation in 2000.

I currently have problems with the 3 position zone valve. Some times it works, some times it doesn't so there is a bit of hit an miss when there is hot water available and heating on the radiators.

The boiler I have does not appear to have the best energy efficiency rating.

I am considering changing the CH system to a combi boiler system. I have been quoted around £2.5K for works and material. I have been recommended to install a Vokera 32HE compact boiler.

I have been quoted around £500 to service the existing boiler and fix the 3 zone valve.

I am considering to stay in the house for another 4 to 5 years. Would you say it is worth the investment in a new combi boiler or am I better fixing and maintaining the existing system for another 4 to 5 years.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
keep what you have its a good boiler. Bin whoever quoted you 500 quid they are taking the pish. BG will fix your valve for a fixed price of 192 quid

...I have been quoted around £500 to service the existing boiler and fix the 3 zone valve...
Any suggestions much appreciated.
I will give you 2 valves and 2 services for that.
Unless there is a complete system clean included, which you need, it is a rip off.

Sponsored Links
forgot to mention: if you have a 3 port valve, it is unlikely to be a gravity system.
Not only did the guy try to rip you off, it seems he does not know what he is on about either.

unless he is charging you 500 to upgrade your system to a y plan

wouldnt be a bad price then?

To replace the complete 3 port valve and a full boiler service should be no more than £200.

You will not get your money back on a new boiler installation.

I certainly wouldn't consider a Vokera.

Fix the existing and sit tight until you sell.

dont think the matey ios talking about replacing a three port dave

I think he is quote to newly install one ie convert from part grav to fully pumped

IMHO a monkey aint a bad price for that

:)

The system is an open vented gravity domestic hot water system with a pumped central heating system. ... I currently have problems with the 3 position zone valve.
You are confused as to what is meant by a gravity hot water system. Your cylinder, and HW taps ar gravity fed from the cold water tank in the attic; but the water circulating through the heating coil in the cylinder is pumped - otherwise you wouldn't have a 3 position valve. So you have a fully pumped system.

The system has not been serviced since installation in 2000.
Tut, tut!!

Some times it works, some times it doesn't so there is a bit of hit an miss when there is hot water available and heating on the radiators.
3-way valve sticking. Remove the actuator (not always possible - depends on age of valve) and check the spindle is not sticking (it only rotates 10-15 degrees).

I am considering changing the CH system to a combi boiler system. I have been quoted around £2.5K for works and material.
Don't even consider it - you will not get your money back in five years. Just get the problem resolved and have the system serviced regularly until you move.

My old Profile 60e was serviced last year for £60 inc VAT.

A replacement motor head for the 3-way valve is around £50-£75 depending where you get it. Fitting it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes which can be done whilst doing the service so no call-out fee!

Whole lot for around £150 - £175 would be a keen price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back