Changing to Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is it possible to change from a Central Heating system with a Hot Water Cylinder, to a Combi system. The boiler needs replacing on the property I have, and I am also considering a Loft Conversion, so I want to get all the water tanks out of the loft. If it is possible is it an expensive job (desregarding the new boiler of course!)

Rgrds

Chris

Sponsored Links
its quite a common cahnge over these days and it would involve removing your hot water and cold water tanks :!:
2 things to check before you undertake this work is firstly your cold water mains pressure is adequate and secondly you choose the correct size combi you will need a large output combi if you have more then one bathroom at least a 28Kw model if not more :!:

I would recommend a boiler but i might get told off :mad:

It is very possible to change from vented to combi.
Your system will be at a higher pressure though so your plumber will have to check joints can handle this.

Fit a good quality one Valliant , Worcester or Veisseman.

As for cost, get qoutes from recommended local installers or British Gas if you are flush with cash. :D

Thanks.

Only have 1 bathroom, with a Bath, Sink and Toilet. The existing Shower is a brand new electric unit, so I presume a standard Combi would be OK. Would you recommend a condensing Combi or a standard system. As an aside, how much would I be looking at off the top of your head??

Rgrds

Sponsored Links
effin stupid fitting a combi, when the boiler stops you will have no hot water OR heating, you will however get earache from those living in the same household. I earn lots of money from combies.

To go combi from vented system.

1. Flush out the system using chemicals (put aside one day)
2. Gas line from boiler to gas meter. Even 22mm can be undersize sometimes.
3. Install new boiler
4. Complete Benchmark logbook
5. Remove copper cylinder and cap redundant pipes.
6 Ensure no dead legs in hot water runs.
7 Notify CORGI.
£1500 would not get me out of bed if all above has to be done. No wonder I do not change boilers. Plenty for me to repair with combis getting chucked in in 3 to four hours. Some are hooked to 15mm gas lines with burner pressure at 3mbars or so when asking for hot water. Last one I looked at has 15mm gas line from the meter. A few months down the line the boiler starts giving cold showers as muck that was not removed is now resident in the secondary heat exchanger.

Cheaper boilers equal very expensive parts. Most boilers now-a-days are not meant to last. Do not expect a combi to go on for ever. When it does break down, you fitter may not be able to repair it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back