Heat-only or combi boiler for existing CH/DHW system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if it's significantly simpler/cheaper to install a heat-only boiler for an existing central heating and hot water system than a combi boiler?

At the moment we have a Baxi Bermuda back boiler and 8 mm microbore central heating system with a vented cylinder.

I'm thinking of either replacing the back boiler with a heat-only boiler and keeping the cylinder and central heating system, or replacing the back boiler with a combi boiler and getting rid of the cylinder but retaining the central heating (minus the circulation pump).

Sponsored Links
A lot of knowledgeable people on here would advise you to keep your back boiler because of it's simplicity.

I happen to agree with them

Maybe you need to upgrade some controls?

Sponsored Links
Almost impossible to say without seeing it. For example is your current set up gravity or fully pumped?? You may need to upgrade - this is ££££ where are u planning putting the new heat only boiler ? It Will need new gas supply and new connection to primary circuits - again ££££. Tear the lot out and put a combi in could be simpler but again hard to say, have you got sufficient water pressure for a combi ? How many bathrooms etc? (Water demand) and pressurising an 8mm micro bore system could be risky as well. As Dan said how longs a piece of string?? You need to get someone round to have a butchers I think...
Cheers

A lot of knowledgeable people on here would advise you to keep your back boiler because of it's simplicity.

I happen to agree with them

Maybe you need to upgrade some controls?

I was, and I would, but the air vent it needs being non-room sealed lets in a horrible draught in winter and makes the living room uncomfortable. Plus having a 100 cm^3 hole in the wall pretty much negates any draught proofing and insulation!

Almost impossible to say without seeing it. For example is your current set up gravity or fully pumped?? You may need to upgrade - this is ££££ where are u planning putting the new heat only boiler ? It Will need new gas supply and new connection to primary circuits - again ££££. Tear the lot out and put a combi in could be simpler but again hard to say, have you got sufficient water pressure for a combi ? How many bathrooms etc? (Water demand) and pressurising an 8mm micro bore system could be risky as well. As Dan said how longs a piece of string?? You need to get someone round to have a butchers I think...
Cheers

It's a fully pumped system. The logical place for any replacement would be upstairs from and almost directly above the existing back boiler, next to the existing hot water cylinder (heat only) or in its place (combi) as that is where the pipework is and directly above the gas supply. There is a large boxed-in flue through which all the pipes run from downstairs to upstairs so access isn't a problem. However the house construction makes putting the pipework elsewhere impractical.

There is only one bathroom and water pressure doesn't appear to be a problem. I didn't know pressurising an old 8 mm system may be a problem so that's good to know - I'd like to have at least some idea before I get someone out!

You're right about needing new controls. Originally there were no TRVs. I have replaced the oldest radiators which had no fins and a funny connection that had the inlet and outlet at the same point and fitted TRVs to all radiators except the one next to the thermostat.

The thermostat is a wired British Gas RS1 in the hallway and the controller is a Potterton EP2002 (also wired) in the living room.

I'd prefer the thermostat to be in the living room as that would be more useful I think. Something that would work with the present system but also be compatible with an upgrade would be good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back