Heat only Vs System boiler Vs Combi (running costs)

Which uses the least amount of gas and electricity?

• Vented cylinder with heat only boiler

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Unvented cylinder with System boiler

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Combi boiler

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Heat only with unvented

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Sponsored Links
At between 3.5 and 5p/kW cost of NG is very cheap.

BRE did research some years ago, available online as I found it, where the end result was a heat only boiler was the most efficient in operation over a combination boiler but the losses between the boiler and cylinder cancelled that out.

The distance between boiler and cylinder is also a factor as is the distance between the combi or cylinder and the hot tap used most often (a reason I personally don't think a combi in the loft is a great idea).

Use a low mass boiler for rapid heat up, aluminum if you're running radiators hot and intermittently and consider stainless if the system is going to be running at condensing temperatures for long periods.

Sponsored Links
I have a SS combi running an unvented cylinder with draw offs to all hot taps apart from my en suite which comes off the combi for the constant 20l/min shower. the heating is under floor with oversized rads upstairs to run at 55deg.
Has outside weather comp and opentherm internal controls. Hw priority that heats cylinder before opentherm/weather comp kicks in for heating requirements.

I have a SS combi running an unvented cylinder with draw offs to all hot taps apart from my en suite which comes off the combi for the constant 20l/min shower. the heating is under floor with oversized rads upstairs to run at 55deg.
Has outside weather comp and opentherm internal controls. Hw priority that heats cylinder before opentherm/weather comp kicks in for heating requirements.
That sounds ideal. For reference, what combination of boiler / controls manufacturers (and models) do you use to achieve your setup please?

That sounds ideal. For reference, what combination of boiler / controls manufacturers (and models) do you use to achieve your setup please?
Tbh you’d need to research your own application as mine was specifically designed for my own house when building it. the spec is now 5/6 years old and things have came on and got better even from then.
But basically 3 zone system one of them being hot water. Other 2 zones are rads and then 12 manifold under floor heating.
mu controls are a mix and match as it was that I could use at the time but there are now plug and play stuff with online controls etc that might suit your needs better.

Tbh you’d need to research your own application as mine was specifically designed for my own house when building it. the spec is now 5/6 years old and things have came on and got better even from then.
But basically 3 zone system one of them being hot water. Other 2 zones are rads and then 12 manifold under floor heating.
mu controls are a mix and match as it was that I could use at the time but there are now plug and play stuff with online controls etc that might suit your needs better.
sounds like the rolls royce of heating systems.. way above my pay grade. A system like that you're probably talking at least £10K all in

Would love to see pics of your boiler room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back