Dementia.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's costing everyone a fortune and those that have it don't even know. Isn't it time that we sign a document so that we are 'put to sleep' if we suffer from it and reach the point where we don't know family? What's the point in continuing?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11373018

Sponsored Links
I would sign up now if I didn't have DIYnot to keep me sane.

Sounds utterly good,useful,right,helpful,etc., in theory

Big but is needed here for a long explanation about why it willn't happen.

Except this, have you ever had to terminate somebody you loved very much?

My Dad died with premature dementia in his late fifties. For the last few years it was a hell of a strain on everybody, most of all my Mum.

Having seen him go downhill and linger for years in misery I know what I'm going to do when I get the diagnosis: buy a bottle of single malt, climb a Scottish mountain in winter, neck the Scotch then undress. It will be over in minutes. I will leave a second bottle and a big fat cheque in my rucsac for the helicopter crew that brings my body down.

(This assumes I'm not too far gone to remember how to drive to Scotland!)

Sponsored Links
Strange, that if we own an animal and let it suffer the way we have to let humans suffer, we'd be taken to court and either imprisoned or fined. Yet we are forced to watch loved ones suffer with terminal illnesses.
I know it's not dementia, but my sister in law has terminal cancer .Visiting her in hospital is taking it's toll on the whole family..
I remember the time my own mother died of cancer and the helpless feelings I had at the time. Had my mum not gone into hospital ( on the day she died) I think my father would have taken the law into his own hands.

A crying shame in this supposedly enlightened day and age, that we are not allowed the right to choose when to die.

I fully understand the arguments against, specially where there could be a large inheritance involved, but surely if a person has a terminal illness where there is no chance of a recovery, that person should have the legal right to choose when to die.

My Dad died with premature dementia in his late fifties. For the last few years it was a hell of a strain on everybody, most of all my Mum.

Having seen him go downhill and linger for years in misery I know what I'm going to do when I get the diagnosis: buy a bottle of single malt, climb a Scottish mountain in winter, neck the Scotch then undress. It will be over in minutes. I will leave a second bottle and a big fat cheque in my rucsac for the helicopter crew that brings my body down.

(This assumes I'm not too far gone to remember how to drive to Scotland!)
Thats exactly what Michael Todd ex Manchester police chief did when he was caught out screwing all his women.

I am a staunch believer in voluntary euthanasia but with strong safe guards, if you develope a terminal illness I believe that you should be able to make a living will while you still have your faculties.
Surely it is far better to be given a pill that will allow you to drift off into an eternal sleep without all the pain.

These types of conditions keep my partner employed. She works in a local residential nursing home, with clients who have this, and various other illnesses/ailments, whatever you may wish to label them.

I sometimes think I have a bit of dementia. I find that now and again I repeat myself.

I sometimes think I have a bit of dementia. I find that now and again I repeat myself.

we as a family are going through this at the moment.
my dad has been in hospital for the last 7 weeks,
he had a stroke about 4 years ago and bounced back really well almost back to normal,
well 7 weeks ago he had a fall at home,blacked out and fell over,fell like a tree and smacked his head on a concrete path and fractured his skull,was given 5% survival,he got better or we thought he had,but as the weeks have gone on his memory has failed him,doesnt really reconize us without a lot of prompting.but according to the hospital hes as strong as an ox and does not require any medical help,so we have had to find him a rest home.
fingers crossed he may get better but at 80 years old time is against him.
its bloody hard watching someone you love deteariate like he has and still keeping strong for everyone else around you.

to think he may spend the rest of his life in a rest home after being a strong independent man,ex army WO1 ex bank career and quite articulate saddens me a lot.ive got to be strong for my mum who at 78 is a strong lady but is showing signs of distress obviously.

being told by the so called experts that there really is no way back for him is extremely hard(but do they really know?)
would it of been kinder for us all if he had silently slipped away when he had his fall so we couldve mourned properly?would it of been better for him?rather then us watching him get worse?or him knowing that he is not very well?
or would it be kinder for him and us just to allow an injection to send him off of this mortal coil,I REALLY COULDNT SAY but judging by what i now know i certainly wouldnt want to suffer.

especially as all you have worked hard for is going to spent on your care that you hope your family have chosen the best respite care for you,because behind the scenes is it really the best???

anyway this question will continue being asked and unless your really in this situation can you truthfully answer it when it comes to a loved one??

It's costing everyone a fortune and those that have it don't even know. Isn't it time that we sign a document so that we are 'put to sleep' if we suffer from it and reach the point where we don't know family? What's the point in continuing?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11373018[/QUOTE]

often thought you were already there Joe ;)

But lets say you sign that docment, and in 20 years you're suffering from dementia, and they "put you down", then a year later they develop a cure... you're gonna be cross aren't you?

And what if dementia is a condition whereby you know what's going on, but just can't control the way you express yourself... you're gonna be lying there watching the doctor walk towards you with that lethal injection?

I understand where you're coming from Joe, but we only get one shot at life, and we need to err on the side of caution... it's difficult watching a relative with it, but life is tough in so many ways.... for the parents of a raped and murdered girl, or the wife of a soldier killed in Afghanistan, or the parents of a toddler who's run over and killed etc etc.....

It must be hell for all of you mate.
Stay strong and if you need to let off steam you know we'll understand.
Thanks for an excellent personal insight.

the problem with this kind of question is the hypothetical one of "what if they find a cure 2 weeks later?" or other ones along that line..

the poster above with the poorly dad, if you did have the ability to do what you say then there would always be that nagging question of "what if he'd have gotten better in a few weeks?"

the idea of a living will while you still have all your faculties is a good one, we shouldn't be allowed to choose FOR someone under any circumstances since you'd be imposing your wishes on them and despite how much you think you may know someone you cannot know what that person wants unless you have some kind of directive from them beforehand.

Sponsored Links
Back