How to fit/change Electric Element on Towel Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a delonghi electric towel rail. It has a basic on/off setting with no thermostatic or timer control
I want to fit a thermostatic element so I can control the temperature and timing.

I have bought a TERMA KTX-4 with the electric element that comes with it. This was recommended by the shop where I bought the towel rail. The supplier told me to fit the element I should
1. Disconnect the towel rail from the electrics
2. Unscrew the current electric element
3. Screw in the new electric element, which the thermostatic control connects to

But
When I got to step 2, I couldn’t unscrew the current thermostatic control. When I bought the towel rail the electric element was ready fitted (factory fitted).

My question is
a. Should I continue and unscrew the current element. (pic A). Its not a perfect hexagonal shape. It is curved with 2 flat edges (pic A). Is there a specific tool I should be using. I've tried spanner and pliers as a last resort.
Thanks

OR
b. Can I fit the element to the other side (pic B) and leave the current element in.

OR
c. Is it not possible to fit this at all

Appreciate any advice

Sponsored Links
you need to be unscrewing the hexagonal part, a spanner is ideal, pliers however are not.

you need to be unscrewing the hexagonal part, a spanner is ideal, pliers however are not.

Thanks for replying John
Does that mean i leave the other element in, including wire for the electrics?

Sponsored Links
You could do as b) but I don't know if they leave any air in the radiator for expansion (????) which you may just push all out with a second element.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back