white radiator turning yellow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently re-painted a radiator. I used DULUX pure brilliant white undercoat and gloss. 4 months later and the radiator has turned cream. I used the same paint on the window sill above and it's still white. Any idea why this has happened?

Sponsored Links
If the radiator has been on, the heat, conduction, will turn the white to yellow. Do not know what the exact term or chemical equation is.
The heat from the radiator to the sill, convection, will eventually turn the sill yellow, but not as quick as the radiator.
You can buy special radiator paint to combat this from any DIY store, but be aware, the fumes are horrendous during the paint application.

Oops, I forgot to mention the most puzzling part...

I also did the skirting and the radiator pipes. The radiator pipes are still the same colour as the skirting behind them - brilliant white.

it sounds like some kind of bleed through from the yellow underneath. You may need a different primer.

Sponsored Links
it sounds like some kind of bleed through from the yellow underneath. You may need a different primer.

Oh, that makes more sense. It was painted cream previously. Can you suggest what primer would seal the old paint?

If the radiator has been on, the heat, conduction, will turn the white to yellow. Do not know what the exact term or chemical equation is.
The heat from the radiator to the sill, convection, will eventually turn the sill yellow, but not as quick as the radiator.
You can buy special radiator paint to combat this from any DIY store, but be aware, the fumes are horrendous during the paint application.

HI,
I agree with this idea and that's true that through heat and weather condition,All thing will became damage if heat and weather condition will occur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back