cooker cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am putting a new cooker in ,the old one has a three core cable but the new one has a two core ,is it safe to use the new one 'as is ' ie; without the earth wire :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
is the cooker new to you? it would be most unusual to find a cooker with no earth.

earth is there for saftey.

mrgee32uk said:
i am putting a new cooker in ,the old one has a three core cable but the new one has a two core ,is it safe to use the new one 'as is ' ie; without the earth wire :rolleyes:

unless its class 2 (double insulated) it MUST be earthed.

if the cooker cable goes into a removable access panel, take this off and look at the cable terminations. There should be an Earth somewhere, sometimes its on the metal casing of the appliance near to the L+N connections. Look for a sign saying "double insulated" or with 2 concentric squares, these mean it does not need earthing. If not it MUST be earthed.

Sponsored Links
What rating is the cooker in question, if it has a rating of below 3.5kW then nit is likely to be double iinsulated and no Earth is necessary, however above this it will need to have an Eartyn connection.

Further, if the outer skin of the cooker in metal, it will NOT be double insulated, and thus will require an earth connection.

We are all assuming that this is an electric cooker. If it's dual fuel then only the oven(s) will be electric. Even so, I'd expect it to have an earth. If it's all gas then that cable is for timer and/or ignition only and they could be double insulated.

NB: Just because the old cable goes into a b****y great cooker switch that doesn't mean it's a b****y great cable. I once found a gas cooker with it's ignition unit wired in this way. Three amp flex on a 30 amp fuse!!!!

Mrgee32uk, what have you got exactly?

Ive been in electrical/appliance/gas game for 27 years-never seen a double insulated cooker/oven. If so can you post make and model.Ta.

it is a Belling cooker,and by the way as you might have guessed i know nothing about cookers! i have looked again at the cooker and it has a red wire,black wire and a un insulated copper wire . is the copper wire the earth? the cooker is 6 months old and second hand,thanks for helping. :LOL:

yes, the uninsulated copper wire is probably an earth, but if the cooker is second hand, i would replace the cable (most are designed to be rewireable) for peace of mind that it is wired correctly and safe.

Your say that the old cooker had a 3-core cable, was this actually a flex? If so it was probably of a lower rating that this new one, and might require a higher rated supply. Just a thought.

thanks for the advice,and i hope i didn't come across too much of a muppet! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back