Choc Box

• Thread starter Terry2sheds
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
That doesn't seem to have come up on any of the associated links. However, I do agree that it's a DIYers trademark

Apparently, it was good practice at one time ( 15th edition ), perhaps that's why I've seen professional installations using it??

:LOL:

an unenclosed chocblock is not a good thing to find when you are reaching under floorboards.

Choc block and insulation tape does not provide any strain relief for the cables.
Choc boxes have a clamp to prevent the cables being pulled out of their terminations. This is a BS7671 requirement.

Apparently, it was good practice at one time ( 15th edition ), perhaps that's why I've seen professional installations using it??
Funny that, as Regulation 207 (H) of the 13th Edition says, "Cores of sheathed cables from which the sheath has been removed and non-sheathed cables at the termination of conduit or duct or trunking shall be enclosed. The enclosure shall be of incombustible material and may be a box complying with BS 816 or other appropriate British Standard, or an accessory or lighting fitting."

;)

I think that's slightly different to using choc blocks, unless I'm redaing it wrong.
I got my info from another thread
Just a quick poll, really.

Many moons ago, under't 15th, I were learnt it were good practice to tape up blocks inside enclosures etc...

Now I tend not to. I have noticed others here occasionally recommend taping blocks up.

Do you do it or not? Why?

What dingbat is saying is that even before the 15th Edition it was required that connections must be enclosed, no matter how they are terminated.

I think that's slightly different to using choc blocks, unless I'm redaing it wrong.

There are two reasons for enclosing terminations. The one most people think about is protection from electric shock, but equally important is prevention of fire.
(And prevention of fire is how the Regulations came about in the first place.)

The choc box is an easy way of enclosing a choc block to meet both of those fundamental requirements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back