Choc Bloc and Insulation tape

You lift floors and remove light fittings for a rummage when doing PIRs?

No, and I am aware that I will not find every instance of it, but I do:

- Remove a sample of recessed spot lights (these are rife for it, and also not maintaining adequate clearance from combustable materials etc)

- Stick my head up into the roof space

- Pop out ceiling tiles in offices, etc

- Open sample of light fixtures and look for the telltale sign of just a few single insulated cores comming through the ceiling with the rest pushed up

Sponsored Links
Surely all connections should be in a non-combustible enclosure of some kind.

I don't consider untaped connector blocks shoved above a ceiling to be acceptable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for the replies and from them i guess using choc blocs is frowned upon but no rules to say it cant be done. I understand a code 2 on a PIR does mean it needs improvement but does not constitute an unsafe situation.

However wouldnt you just know it. Having bought a couple of the connectors spark123 Suggested, It turns out that the conductors in the cable are so brittle that as soon as they are moved they snap. I have since found out that in the past the upstairs apartment has had a leak into this void. I guess this is why the cable is so brittle. It means the ceiling has got to come down or a "inspection hatch" cut into it to completly replace all the cable, so i can get a proper job done with decent cable and lengths of it. More costly now but should stop this sort of problem occuring again in the future.

if you apply tape, then does that constitute 'site applied insulation' and therefore (if you want to be squeaky clean) requires flash testing?

I think if it pased the visual on whats ok to act as insulation/enclosure (which it wouldn't in my book!), then it would need testing as SAI, yeah, same with heatshrink (which I'd be much more happy to accept)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back