Correct rating for choc blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've found a few connections in my house consisting of choc blocks wrapped in insulating tape - one in the loft (it looks like the bathroom light was moved half a metre or so, necessitating an extra length of cable), and one in the shower casing(!), (extending the existing mains cable a few inches so it reaches the connectors).

I'm planning on ordering covers for the existing choc blocks, and also adding one of my own (when the new kitchen was fitted, they left a loose plug socket - I need to move it a foot or so to the left so I can box in the pipes and mount it to the top of the cabinets.)

My question is: what are the correct ratings for choc blocks in different situations?
Both the ones I've found are 30A blocks - is this anywhere near correct?
I have my suspicions after seeing the insulating tape bodges! :rolleyes:

Iggy.

Sponsored Links
the rating depends on the circuit protective device (fuse or MCB) it should be the same as, or higher than, this.

All connections should be enclosed and ACCESSIBLE, unless you use crimps.

Thanks for your help. :)

Accessibility is no problem - the existing ones are already easy to get to, and I can mount the new one flat to the top of the kitchen cupboards outside of the boxed in section.

Just out of interest, if a choc block just has to be rated >= the max. current on the circuit, why have different ratings of block? Would it not be possible to have just one type rated for high numbers of amps which could be used universally, or are there situations where this could be dangerous?

Iggy.

Sponsored Links
higher rated blocks are bulkier and more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back