Choc Bloc and Insulation tape

And where is the strain-relief to prevent the wires being pulled out of the terminations with our choc-block solution?

same place as the strain relief where the wiring enters a ceiling rose or socket backbox..

by virtue of the wiring being fixed to the fabric of the building..

those requirements are only for things that can be moved such as transformers on downlighters etc..

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
Sponsored Links
Any good?
TLCT100C.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...res_Index/Connector_Strips/index.html[/QUOTE]

That could work, it doesnt look too large if they are 1.5mm cables.
Thanks

Thanks all for the replies i've got a few options to try. I am not ignoring all the suggestions but i am a bit confused as to whether the taped up option is allowed or not, I accept its a dogs dinner approach but is it contraveneing the rules, so if all else fails can i do it.

Re the strain relief, i accept the point but my problem is the cable is so tightly secured it cant move and i am only talking about adding lets say 3-6 inches max via each block so if you need to change the fitting or in my case wire it up again at least there is some cable to use/cut refit. This will only be accessable by removing the light fitting. So my thought is unless the mice have a tug of war competition the only time any strain can be out on it is when the fitting is removed for some reason.

Loverocket i didnt call it a void because there is a loft which goes into another smaller height loft about 2 foot then this bl**dy stupid bit of loft where it drops again to about six inches. Although not accessable by a normal sized person, each bit of the loft is open to the other. I didnt want to mislead anyone to think its a flat roof extension. If that makes any difference whatsoever :)

Coljack the only accessible point is the hole the cable comes down through in the ceiling to the light fitting. So going on Loverockets point is this now a ceiling void and therefore the choc could be shoved up it.

Taped or untaped

Sponsored Links
I used those connectors that Spark123 has linked to for terminating some 3c+e and 2c+e while also running another 2c+e to the fitting from the outgoing side (all in1.5mm²). They were fine on room.

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
Thanks STI, that's the point I was trying to make. A choc-block should never be taped, there's no need. A choc-block should never be used where it's openly accessible (such as on a surface mounted clipped direct cable), only in a backbox, choc-box, ceiling void etc.

The 6" loft space in this instance, is to all intents and purposes a ceiling void (but I understand why STI made the distinction)

As no-one has been able to find anything wrong with this, just go ahead and do it mate. Don't bother with the tape, it makes an awful mess.

To clarify my stance on choc-blocks in general - if you feel the need to tape it up then it shouldn't be used.

Thanks

The socket part which is the larger measures 40mm wide by 25mm high maximum.

I don't like the idea of having chock block shoved in a ceiling, it is rough and I have come across some melted messes before. There are much nicer alternatives such as above.

if you apply tape, then does that constitute 'site applied insulation' and therefore (if you want to be squeaky clean) requires flash testing?

Unenclosed connector blocks pushed into a loft space/under a floor etc are non compliant, and get coded as a 2 on a periodic in my book

Unenclosed connector blocks pushed into a loft space/under a floor etc are non compliant, and get coded as a 2 on a periodic in my book
:?:
What? A choc-block pushed up in to a ceiling void is code 2? I take it your firm doesn't drug test. Would it be compliant (in your view) if it was wrapped in half a roll of tape? :rolleyes:

You lift floors and remove light fittings for a rummage when doing PIRs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back