Choc-block and tape in roof space??

Wow - quite a little debate rumbling on here.
Thanks for all the input. Lots to think about.
Glad its not just me who thinks the work is a bit shoddy.

Small update:

My intention is to take pics (which I'll post here too) then dig out Installation Ceritificate and get in touch with the relevant body and see what they say. Then at least that way I can present the developer / electricians with facts instead of questions.

I did catch up with one of the two site managers this morning. He mentioned the choc block connectors should have only been used on low voltage stuff (i.e. the LED down-lighters) and not for sockets and mains lighting. He says he will get someone to look at it, but I still want it checked properly as I want to know what lurks elsewhere.

At least he seemed fairly amenable and not at all defensive.

ThanksStef

Sponsored Links
As already pointed out likely the connector block will be compliant with IPXXB or IP2X.
Maybe. However, for a start, the 'top' of it (however defined, if it's flapping about!) would be required to be IPXXD/IP4X (which it wouldn't be). Perhaps more to the point, I know of no way of connecting cables to a connector block which would not leave at least some single-insulated conductors exposed - hence non-compliant if not in an enclosure (and I really don't think that tape counts as an enclosure!). ... so, as I've said, I would not find it difficult to argue that connector blocks covered with tape were non-compliant.
There are two possibilities one is the company is good and the electrician has on his own bat decided to take a short cut. In which case contacting the company will likely get it corrected. The other is the company is poor and does not give the materials he requires and he has not alternative either he quits or he takes a short cut. If that's the case your wasting your time trying to get it corrected.
In general, I'd be inclined to agree with that. However, I think it's a bit different in the case of a new build when the buyer has a contract with the property developer/whoever, and therefore is not reliant on dealing directly with the electricians involved.

Kind Regards, John

As promised, I took a couple of camera phone pics.

We have two loft spaces. These are from the smaller loft above master bedroom, ensuite and office.

I didn't need to climb into the loft to take these pics... just stuck my head through the hatch and lifted the insulation.

As you can see the single cable splits into two via the connection block, which then feeds two 13A double sockets.

The fat, flat cable at the back of the pic is for the power shower, the cables in the foreground for a ceiling light.

As promised, I took a couple of camera phone pics.
Thanks. At least as bad as we had feared!
As you can see the single cable splits into two via the connection block, which then feeds two 13A double sockets.
Things may well be getting worse (as I feared might be the case). Do you know the 'rating' of the breaker in your Consumer Unit that controls those two sockets (it's probably labelled 'B32' or 'B20')?

Just to be absolutely clear - am I right in saying that what you're showing us is the original wiring in a brand new house (i.e. none of the wiring has been changed since you bought the house)?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Hiya

Do you know the 'rating' of the breaker in your Consumer Unit that controls those two sockets (it's probably labelled 'B32' or 'B20')?

One BS32 breaker for all the sockets in the house (see pics).

Just to be absolutely clear - am I right in saying that what you're showing us is the original wiring in a brand new house (i.e. none of the wiring has been changed since you bought the house)?

Absolutely. Not touched a thing. The wiring is exactly as it was when I bought the house (completed mid feb). All I did is lift the insualtion.

It's my first house so was a learning curve –  wish my snagging had been a lot more more thorough.

Cheers
Stef

Do you know the 'rating' of the breaker in your Consumer Unit that controls those two sockets (it's probably labelled 'B32' or 'B20')?
One BS32 breaker for all the sockets in the house (see pics).
Right. If, as is very probable, those sockets are all supplied from a 'ring' circuit with 2.5mm² cable, then that arrangement of a 'Y-split' of a cable to supply to double sockets would be non-compliant with regulations, unless there was a 13A fused 'spur unit' somewhere in the single cable feeding that Y-junction. Do I take it that there is not a 'fused connection unit' anywhere that could be associated with those two sockets? Getting someone competent to look at how those two sockets are getting their power is probably another thing to go on your list!
Absolutely. Not touched a thing. The wiring is exactly as it was when I bought the house (completed mid feb). All I did is lift the insualtion.
Thanks for confirming. Was it built by one of the major national firms, or a small one (or individual developer)?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for your reply John

JohnW2 said:
Do I take it that there is not a 'fused connection unit' anywhere that could be associated with those two sockets?

No, at least not that I've seen. There's nowhere obvious in the house and I doubt it'd be hidden in the loft somewhere if there was a fuse?

Thanks for your reply John
You're welcome.
JohnW2 said:
Do I take it that there is not a 'fused connection unit' anywhere that could be associated with those two sockets?
No, at least not that I've seen. There's nowhere obvious in the house and I doubt it'd be hidden in the loft somewhere if there was a fuse?
If there were one, it would lokk something like this (with or without the switch):
CM2368.JPG

Kind Regards, John

nope, the only thing in the house like that is the fuse in the kitchen for the spur than runs out to the garage.

Also found the cert from NICEIC approved contractor saying everything conforms to BS7671.

Plan to talk to site / developer tomorrow and see where I get. There's at least one other taped up connection block I've stumbled across by-chance and some pretty tight / stretched looking cabling so could easily be more hidden stuff.

Cheers
Stef

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back