wiring plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
there is one lead comong out of this old record player which seperates in to two wires, one is black, the other has a white stripe down the side, can any one tell me which wire goes where in to the plug? thanks

Sponsored Links
i dont think so as there are jacks for the amp, i had a look inside and it looks like it comes from the motor

i should of mentioned that the lead is grey, not black, with one white stripe down the side

Sponsored Links
If this was mine I'd look for something on the motor that suggested it was meant to be connected to the mains. If I could find nothing I'd probably dump it.
If it seemed like a mains motor, or if not clear and I fancied the experiment, I would put a plug on it, take a long extension lead (suitably protected) to the end of the garden, plug in the record player, retire to inside the house and switch on.
If no smoke after five minutes, I would sneak up on the record player with a long stick and try to turn it on.
If it didn't work, I would dump it.
If it worked, I would think "mystery solved" and then dump it.

Alternative reply: "What's a record player?"

Panjandrum said:
Alternative reply: "What's a record player?"

referett.jpg

Hate to argue, but you couldn't be more wrong.

I do very much want the Goldmund. What I don't want is to have to pay an insane amount of money for one, or deal with the fallout from Mrs Ban when I introduce it into the living room...

Viner.
If, and only if, you can convince yourself the motor is good for UK mains, it won't matter which is live or neutral. But with that description, I would not be sure if it was OK for mains at all - could it be american (110volt) for example.
Any chance of a web foto? Maybe we can recognise it better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back