Too hot too cold electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My power shower has recently started getting either really hot or really cold with low water pressure. Its an electric self heating shower and the only thing i can think is wrong with it is the thermostat (a wild guess!) but this doesnt explain the pressure.

We recently had central heating put into the flat, but i wouldn't have thought this would have effected the shower...

Any ideas?

Minxka :confused:

Sponsored Links
Well, the plumbing should all be fine as it hasn't been touched since it did work, but the temperature is all over the place so I'm guessing a problem with the electric shower itself....

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have a standard electric shower, which is really like a tap varying the flow of water over a heating element. The slower the water flows, the hotter it gets (and vice-versa), and presumably your shower is going scalding when the flow goes to something like a drip, and cold when it gushes out.

Is anyone else making any demands on the water supply to make the water pressure at the shower reduce ?

In my experience though, a user name like that normally gets you lots of helpful advice - just sit back and wait......

Well, I have to say my nickname has done me pretty well in the past ;)especially on the topic of diy! lol

The shower is actually cold when its dribbling (this is according to my flatmate). I haven't actually had a major problem with the shower first hand apart from it getting far too hot sometimes. I suppose the water pressure does go down a bit though. My flatmate contacted me while at work the other day in a mad rage to tell me the shower was dribbling cold water. I got a fairly blunt response when I asked if she had turned the power on....lol

If its cold when dribbling then that's my theory shot to pieces then. Think some of them have a cut-off if the water flow gets too low, but I'll leave this to someone who knows what they're talking about now....

You did mention that you had recently had CH installed. Did the peculiar behaviour of the shower start then or was it OK for a while then went odd?

Yeah, the behavious seems to have started with the central heating. I thought perhaps the shower was getting 'confused' with hot and cold water coming into it. Although, I don't know if the shower is only connected to a cold pipe as it is a self heating shower...very confused!

jtaunton thanks for posting :)

Could be an electronics problem. The device that holds the water valve open (solenoid?) could be faulty, with low pressure causing the overheat cut out to activate. Or it could just be a problem with low water pressure in your area. Get a plumber to investigate.

jtaunton said:
In my experience though, a user name like that normally gets you lots of helpful advice

I'm sure if she asks nicely some of the lads will offer to get in the shower with her to check exactly what the problem is.......... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back