Plumbing in dishwasher - leaking joins/connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My husband has just plumbed in our first dishwasher, a cold fill Bosch, one inlet, one outlet. He had to extend the hoses so that they would reach the inlet/outlet, and joined them with jubilee clips.

Fine in theory, but in practice, after running the machine for the first time, the joins are leaking :eek:

So, he tightened up the jubilee clips, but there is still some leaking. So, problem not solved :cry:

We can't just leave it, so what do we do? How tight can these jubilee clips go? What do you recommend?

I know this is supposed to be a straightforward job, joining hoses together, so what is he doing wrong? Clips too loose? The worst leak is where the hose joins the outlet.

Any advice gratefully received, as we'll be flooding our downstairs neighbours if we don't get this problem solved :(

Sponsored Links
buy longer hoses.

i am being serious you can get them from any good w/m accessory shop

We did buy longer hoses, but it was not possible to buy one complete hose for the outlet pipe, only the inlet pipe.

The Bosch outlet hose seem to be narrower than a standard hose. The narrow end fits into the dishwasher and the wide end fits onto the outlet. It's too big, from what I can tell, so tightening the clip isn't working. But anyway ....

We have one leak only - where the outlet hose is attached to the waste pipe. It's not the same as our washing machine which goes into a standpipe. The dishwasher hose goes on top of an outlet - a trap with an inlet. It's impossible to make it water-tight. So, even if it was one piece of hose when it reaches the outlet, it won't fit properly. The outlet is too small/the hose is too big. The hose fits over the outlet, so it leaks. :(

Some of these conical connections on sink traps have 2 sections to take different diameter hoses. You often have to cut off the small diameter section if you are fitting a large diameter hose.

Sponsored Links
As a quick fix, wrap some waterproof tape around the spigot of the outlet to increase the diameter - then fit the hose over the tape and do up the jubilee clip - that should keep it leak free!

My husband has had an idea, somewhat along the lines that you have suggested, Towman. He wants to try using a bicycle inner tube, rather than the waterproof tape, in the hope it will produce a seal. Now, I'm never too sure about his sometimes whacky and convoluted solutions to problems, but I'll have to give it a go anyway.

As for the cutting off the small diameter section, is there any way of knowing whether there is a larger diameter section before taking any irreversible action, fido?

You can see if the spigot is stepped. the dishwasher hose should have a rubber cuff on the end then the rest is spiral plastic hose. Sometimes if the rubber cuff is of the large diameter type, when you push it onto the spigot, the end of the spigot fouls on the spiral plastic part of the hose. If this happens you need to cut off enough of the spigot to allow the rubber cuff to go tight onto the spigot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back