Vaillant EcoTech 415 (Open vented) boiler leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a Vaillant ecotech plus 415 condensing boiler fitted just over 2 years ago on an open vented system. i.e its not a combi. I noticed yesterday that the oven cloth that is underneath the boiler was damp so I took the mesh cover off the base of the boiler and on the front leading edge of the plastic sure enough there are dried water marks. It turns out that the boiler only leaks (clear water) when it is shutdown overnight i.e about an egg cupfull. The internal condensate pipe which runs to the sink waste seems fine and is not near to where the water is manifesting itself just behind the control section box.
I thought Vaillant were supposed to be good quality boilers. Is this a serious problem and have other readers heard about this problem with this particular model in the Vaillant range? Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Good boilers but as with everything made by humans....not perfect.Have you had the boiler serviced? More than likely a simple fault,but front needs to be removed.

Thanks for that. Actually no I have not had it serviced since installation as I figured I'd skint on the first 3 years and then get it serviced :oops:
Is it best do you think to have Vaillant come out or my boiler engineer who fitted it?

Have you checked the connections on top of the boiler ? could be leaking down, more likely if its leaking as you say. If it were the boiler it would more likely be condense water leaking.

Sponsored Links
Well that attitude is not only silly but it meant you did not activate the second year of the warrantee!

In this instance I would suggest getting Vaillant as many installers are not very good at repairs.

A small water leak is usually pretty minor but regardless as if not fixed can get worse. Its probably condensate but.........

Tony

Yes point taken! Although its academic as the boiler is out of guarantee anyway. My laymans instinct on this though is that even if I had had it serviced the problem would still have occured. Everybody on this informative site seem to swear by Vaillant boilers and I really do not think that I should have a problem on a unit this age. Perhaps you do not get for what you pay for these days... Thanks for all the advice

Seriously, check on top of the boiler!! I will be highly surprised if its the boiler.

Mick - I've just had a look at the two feed and return pipes which on my model are located at the rear top left of the boiler. The pipes themselves appear ok but there are some brown water stain marks in front of the pipes where they disappear into the boiler housing. Also there are some brown dribble marks down the side of the casing which at the base is where the water source is. On the flow pipe my engineer has incorporated a drain valve which happens to be directly over the stains. I put my finger in here but it is dry. As I said in an earlier entry the leak only occurs when the boiler is shut down. Its been on since 6am today and no more leaks :?:

Mick - I've just had a look at the two feed and return pipes which on my model are located at the rear top left of the boiler. The pipes themselves appear ok but there are some brown water stain marks in front of the pipes where they disappear into the boiler housing. Also there are some brown dribble marks down the side of the casing which at the base is where the water source is. On the flow pipe my engineer has incorporated a drain valve which happens to be directly over the stains. I put my finger in here but it is dry. As I said in an earlier entry the leak only occurs when the boiler is shut down. Its been on since 6am today and no more leaks :?:
well looks like you found the culprit anyway. now apologise to your boiler ;)

Everybody on this informative site seem to swear by Vaillant boilers and I really do not think that I should have a problem on a unit this age. Perhaps you do not get for what you pay for these days... Thanks for all the advice

I dont know who you are classing as "everyone" as I cannot think of anyone who takes that view.

My assessment if general views is that they were very good but are now just a slightly better than some other mass produced boilers.

Quite apart from the technical aspects, leaking combustion seals and then leaking rubber hoses, their attitude to installers by not answering phones or emails has seriously redused their brand loyalty.

When I emailed them to ask why they did not reply!

Tony Glazier

I have no trouble getting through or getting an engineer next day.
I had to wait 3 days for an engineer to visit a 831 yesterday but that was because I asked for a specific engineer to visit.
We could all name faults with every boiler,but the rubber hoses,graphite seals and Laing pumps have all been modified.

The sign of a good manufacturer is one that accepts it's faults and redesigns to overcome them.there's plenty of manufacturers that bury there head in the sand .

I have no trouble getting through or getting an engineer next day.

I have a sneaky feeling that you are using a priority number.

If anyone could get through quickly why do they give BG a special access number?

Tony

Mick - sure enough it is the drain off valve that is leaking. I've tightened the nipple nut on this as per my engineers instructions so hopefully that will do the trick. Big relief its not the boiler and yes as per your directive I have duly apologised to it :oops: Once again a big thank you to yourself and everyone else who contributed. Looks like I've started a heated debate on Vaillant boilers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back