Can water meters Freeze

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My water meter is in storage room that has a louvre window (no glass) and is particularly close to the the louvres so probably gets to the same temperature as the outside. A few times in the last week my water supply has stopped. I assumed it was because the pipes were un-lagged so I lagged these pipes but I didn't have anything to lag the meter. It was about -6 or -7 deg C last night and the water stopped again. Is the meter a positive displacement pump and do they freeze easily? I am going to cover the louvre with a sheet of polystyrene sheet to see if that will work.

Sponsored Links
I don't know if there are different types, but my water authority warns against letting them freeze as they may be damaged and then I have to pay for another one :(

Sponsored Links
The 'above ground' type Anglian Water fit are of brass construction, having seen a brass water pump on a truck mounted sweeper split due to frost I wouldnt take the chance. (Especially with the temperatures dropping so low currently).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back