Pump over-run help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is the most simplistic and easy to understand wiring diagram i could find on the net ..
so i like it and understand it completely ..wish all were like it.

As, i have trouble following all the jargon initials etc on most diagrams
trouble is ..it hasn't got the pump over run circuit on it.

can anyone tell me what wires go where for the pump over run function ...and maybe pencil them in for me .

and I'll be good to go. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/aboard_epsilon/Y-Plan-Wiring.gif

all the best/markj

Sponsored Links
pump overrun will come from terminals in the boiler.

like this.
image872.gif

can anyone tell me what wires go where for the pump over run function ...and maybe pencil them in for me .

all the best/markj

The connections for the pump over run circuit will be found on the boiler connection strip, which should read L N E Sw L and Pump L N E. if there is no connections for the pump then the boiler as not got a pump over run switch.

spraggo

well you see ..what I'm trying to do is put the wiring in first ..i wont get the boiler until the summer

as you see on the diagram ..it has only three wires going to the boiler ..

i assume then .. that with the over-run ..i will have five wires going to the boiler ..so a five core cable will enter the boiler..is that right.

all the best.markj

Sponsored Links
are you saying i should just put the three core cable to the boiler and by doing some extra wiring jumper of some sorts it does its switching internally by itself ..
if you are, its just me not understanding it ..and how it works

and sorry .

i phoned Worcester Bosch up today and the guy was going on about 6 wires coming into the boiler from outside ..so i just got really confused.

all the best.markj

well 4 then ..but in a five core cable.

all the best.markj

I make it fire resistant 3 core and eath to the programmer and two core and earth to the pump. Which boiler are you getting they don`t all have a pump over run. Is it oil or gas?

spraggo.

i don't know what boiler I'm getting

it will either be a regular condensing valiant if it exists. Worcester Bosch or ..viessmann. 24 kw or there abouts ..it will sometimes have to heat my workshop as well.

its whats best value for money at the time ..the availability of spares..price of spares ..back up ..and subject to more reliability reports.

BTW ..some people here are going on about getting a temperature compensation thing ..

but Ive worked it out its no good ..due it being £150 with vat or more ..and probably not even paying for itself by the time the boilers life comes to an end .

all the best.markj

pump overrun will come from terminals in the boiler.

like this.
image872.gif

looking at your pic ..i still don't understand ...there are 7 wires there at the top coming in ..

three wires on the left i assume go to the boiler internal electrics.

not like my circuit diagram

or is the left one one the mains

and where doi the wires at the bottom go to .

all the best.markj

YEP that's almost perfect ..colour the wiring and it will be even better ..
now i can see i need a short 7 core cable from the boiler to the first intersections ..yes thanks thats helped a lot . :) happy

see i would like to print it out laminate it and stick it in on the wall , on the inside of the cupboard in which will be housed the pump, the divertor valve ..the plan box..once anything goes wrong ..i don't have to think to hard ..or go looking for it on the internet .

main switch has to be less than 2 mtrs from boiler at eye level ..is that right .

all the best.markj

hold on ..
i can see that the pumps earth and neutral can go directly to 2 and 3

meaning i can use the 5 core

is that right ?

seco are you Dave ..the original drawer of the diagram ..if you are ..big thankyou .

all the best.markj

Does this diagram help?. It shows the pump connected to the boiler via the wiring centre, so the earth and neutral connections for the pump are at the wiring centre, not at the boiler. You then only need a maximum of 5 wires to the boiler: Live, Neutral, Earth, Switched Live, Pump Live.

View media item 30148
Click to enlarge. You can then right click to save the enlarged version.

Are you sure your new boiler wont contain a pump? Personally, I'd just run a 1.5mm T+E and also a 3C+E cable between the boiler and the wiring centre. That way, you have one supply/call for heat and one spare for a pump, should you require it. Of course, you'll probably want to terminate the T+E behind an outlet plate at the boiler and bring it out on a flex.

If there's any chance the call for heat is going to require volt-free contacts, you should probably run in 3x T+E!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back