A recent discovery....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Discovered this whilst removing a cupboard in my own house!

Previous tenants must have had sound elec knowledge :confused: :eek:

From what's there, looks like they wanted to move the sockets down - decided against getting a pro in - did what is known as a "bodge job"..

"bit of taped up blocks should do it"....

Then theres the junction box - have a guess what that feeds....?

This leaves me wondering about the rest of the house.. time to start testing me thinks....

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Could have been worse i suppose. May have been hidden under plaster.

This leaves me wondering about the rest of the house.. time to start testing me thinks....
More than that.

Can you beg/borrow/steal a thermal imaging camera?

If not, hire one?

As long as joints are sound, testing will tell you nothing about their presence, nor will it tell you anything about buried cables.

OTOH, running circuits up to the maximum the cables can handle for long enough for hem to get warm, and photographhing the walls....

OTOH, running circuits up to the maximum the cables can handle for long enough for hem to get warm, and photographhing the walls....

I'm not convinced that a cable which has a max operating temperature of 70 degress celesis is going to have any effect on a wall constructed of concrete based products and their inherant thermal mass...

Nice idea Bas, however, with thermal imaging you need to know the basics of what you are looking for first.
Second, suppose you run the circuits up to their maximum current rating but on a long circuit, tucked away in the loft somewhere there is a spur to a hidden loft socket with a device plugged in that you didn't now about. This spur is wired in 1.0mm protected by a foil covered 13A cartridge fuse in a FSU.
It may take some time to get to 'seeing' that particular cable by which time it has melted and set fire to the old newspapers blocking that draught in the eaves?
I agree with your idea though.

When a friends painted the walls of their lounge they noticed a line of paint was drying faster than the rest.

Undersized cable to the immersion heater buried in the plaster.

From what i can tell, the previous tenants moved the sockets down - where the junction box is now used to be CCU - with a fused socket - they obv decided it wanted to be lowered, so did it themselves...

thermal tester? where would i get one of those from then? Wouldnt a CPC/R1+R2 test show any breaks?

I'm not convinced that a cable which has a max operating temperature of 70 degress celesis is going to have any effect on a wall constructed of concrete based products and their inherant thermal mass...
It's 40-50° above the temperature of the wall - it'll show up.

suppose you run the circuits up to their maximum current rating but on a long circuit, tucked away in the loft somewhere there is a spur to a hidden loft socket with a device plugged in that you didn't now about. This spur is wired in 1.0mm protected by a foil covered 13A cartridge fuse in a FSU.
It may take some time to get to 'seeing' that particular cable by which time it has melted and set fire to the old newspapers blocking that draught in the eaves?
How could you manage to make that spur carry more current than it usually does?

Can you beg/borrow/steal a thermal imaging camera?

If not, hire one?

Oh I would soo love to have one of them.. but it is a couple of grand that I don't see I could make back, unless someone tells me otherwise. Plus it is more kit to worry about.

I saw some hire prices, pretty prohibitive too?

:cry:

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back