flip down kitchen tv ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
considering buying one of these flip down jobs for the kitchen but wanna know r the majority now digital ready or not ? or is this why a lot of these r now going cheap ? what else shud i look out for when buying one of these ? any help apprieciated in advance people ! :)

Sponsored Links
Most if not all flip down TV’s seem to be from brands that I had never heard of. I bought mine around 3 years ago and it worked fine for 18 months until the remote control started to play up.

This was a common problem with the model when I Googled it but it was impossible to get hold of a replacement remote.

Lucky for me I had a spare learning remote and got the original one to work for one last time before it died a death which would have made the TV useless.

I too fancied a flip down TV but wasnt keen on an unknown brand - so I bought a flip down mount and installed my own TV.

I used this style which allowed me to use a 20" widescreen (It's on a peninsular unit so it doubles as a dining room TV), but as you can see from the photos the TV will hang below the pelmet when folded.
These type are more compact but appear to rely on the friction of the hinge alone to keep the TV folded up.

mmm ! thanks for the replys but so far i've learnt that i may get aventualy a doggy remote, and that depending on what type of bracket i buy it might hang down if it aint good enough ! still non the wiser as to these tv's are now digital ? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Just search the specs on each model you find. If it has a Freeview tuner then it will say so. If the TV doesn't have a freeview tuner then you can solve that with a Freeview box or by hooking up to a Sky box.

Would it not get covered in grease etc? And break? I have my fruit machine in the kitchen, and the buttons are forever sticky. Needs a good extractor fan?

Westinghouse - an American kitchen brands company - did a touchscreen kitchen-proof product a couple of years ago. It was called Icebox, and was a bit more than a TV.

There was a PC web browser built-in, media streamer, FM and internet radio, waterproof wireless keyboard + waterproof IR remote that was even dishwasher safe!! The speakers were built in to the cabinet rather than the screen and sounded much better for it.

The whole thing was very much a luxury item because this was some time before TVs had media streaming, before netbooks made basic computing dirt cheap, before rugged waterproof keyboards were readily available, and the market still hasn't caught up with sealed touchscreen displays for consumer TV, so perhaps the £2000 cost could be justified by the lucky few.

Would it not get covered in grease etc? And break? I have my fruit machine in the kitchen, and the buttons are forever sticky. Needs a good extractor fan?

My TV is fine, my parents have had a TV in the kitchen for years and theirs don't seem to get caked in grease, but then again neither of us have an open deep fat fryer running 24/7.

Maybe you should ease up on the deep fried mars bars? :LOL:

He's not being malicious. He put a laughing smiley after his post. He's ribbing you in a friendly way. Stop being so over sensitive and trying to pick fights. :)

He's not being malicious. He put a laughing smiley after his post. He's ribbing you in a friendly way. Stop being so over sensitive and trying to pick fights. :)

I didn't say malicious, so you insult people, then put a smiley after it and that makes it OK? 'Ribbing in a friendly way' ? How's that work if I don't know the poster? No need for the comment, and it is abusive. Picking fights? Defending myself against abuse that isn't needed.

I replied with a proper post to a question, abuse isn't required.

Awww, Micky, did somebody hurt your feelings?

No wonder you don't have work, you wouldn't survive five minutes in a group of strangers.

Awww, Micky, did somebody hurt your feelings?

No wonder you don't have work, you wouldn't survive five minutes in a group of strangers.

My personal life is not your concern. I have a job. You state that I wouldn't survive in a group of strangers? Are you mentally deranged?

Go blow yourself, as nobody else would. then hang yourself. Why post this abuse?

And you call me abusive! Comedy gold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back