New shower keeps tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm installing a new shower and for whatever reason beyond my knowledge it keeps tripping the RCD. The complete set up is as follows,
8.5Kw shower (according to manual it's 7.8Kw on 230V) wired to 45A D/P isolating switch using 6mm T/e cable, from the switch the cable follows other elec cables back to the consumer unit which has an 80A 30mA RCD covering (My showers)40A, a 32A and 2 16A.
While I understand all of these would trip the RCD, my 40A trips as soon as i push it up even when it's the first one. I've checked all of my earths, and I'm aware that 6mm is probably sub-par but the entire run is just less than 4M. Anyway any help would be very much appreciated.
Kev

Sponsored Links
I am confused.

You said
While I understand all of these would trip the RCD, my 40A trips as soon as i push it up even when it's the first one. I've checked all of my earths,...........

What trips, the RCD or the 40A MCB??
also
Is this new cabling, or are you using existing?

Is it the MCB or RCD that is tripping ?
Do you realise if you are not competant and have wired this shower that any negligence on your part could kill you or your family ?
Did you notify your LABC before commencing this work ?
Why do you think that the 6mm is 'sub-par' ?

Sponsored Links
So you have a fault somewhere.

What were the results of the Insulation Resistance testing when you did your tests before energising the circuit?

Do you realise if you are not competant and have wired this shower that any negligence on your part could kill you or your family ?
Did you notify your LABC before commencing this work ?

Why is electricity dangerous? Well they never told me that in the backward school of retarded monkeys! Of course I'm bloody competant, only a complete feckin idiot would go messing about mains electricity without knowing what they're doing, I have reached a point where I either rip the wiring and uprate it along with the RCD or take suggestions from others who may point out what i've missed, If I wanted preaching at I would of asked the wife. and yes it's all above board.

Is the neutral of your new circuit in the correct bar back at the CU?

Incidentally, if you're going to pretend that you will run the proper tests, I think they're generally performed before you try switching it on.

Is the neutral of your new circuit in the correct bar back at the CU?

Incidentally, if you're going to pretend that you will run the proper tests, I think they're generally performed before you try switching it on.

I believe so but I will check and i will be testing it, I was plainly and simply tired and fed up and in a cutting corners and pray-to-god-it-works mood

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back