Construction of sound reducing stud wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I intend to construct a stud wall with 2 sheets of 12.5mm plasterboard/drywall on each side.

Question If I nail/screw the first sheets to the studding can I stick the second taper edged sheets to the first using a suitable adhesive to avoid need to make good screw holes? If so what would be a suitable adhesive?

Thanks in advance.

:confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
TBH.
I would not, the time it is going to take mixing up the dry-wall adhesive and laying on the dabs and then sticking the boards up and supporting the boards, so they stay flat and level and in place. You will also need a second mechanical fixing, so will need to use some screws on the second layer.
You could have screwed up and spotted your screws, let them dry and then spotted again.
Remember if you are double boarding to overlap your joints, so the first layer of board joint are not in the same place as the second layer.
The dry-wall adhesive between the boards could also make it difficult for the second layer to sit right, I think it will just over complicate the installation.

Prenticeboy. Thanks for reply. That makes good sense regarding time needed. I was aware of need to stagger joints. (Keep hoping as long as you live/breathe. I had to google your latin)

AJRobb. Thanks for reply. I am assuming staggered studs means wider floor and ceiling plate, 2 sets of narrower studs with plasterboard on each side fixed to different sets of studs. Does this give a significant acoustic improvement over using 12.5mm double sheeting on each side?

Sponsored Links
It is difficult to predict how good a system is as quoted figures tend to be weighted for speech interference. If you want to isolate low frequencies then you might be disappointed.

With staggered studs AND two layers of Soundbloc plasterboard AND high-density mineral wool in-between you might achieve 60dB improvement in speech interference.

What sounds are you trying to insulate against?
as ajr has mentioned a good insulator plus sound bloc can usually can do wonders.
(Keep hoping as long as you live/breathe. I had to google your latin)
Glad you like the latin, there is a bit of history about it, that's why it is used as my signature
Rough translation is
"While I breathe, I hope" it could also by a take on the saying "live in hope"
If you need any advise on taping the joints up and filling out, I will be glad to help.

TBH.
I would not, the time it is going to take mixing up the dry-wall adhesive and laying on the dabs and then sticking the boards up and supporting the boards, so they stay flat and level and in place. You will also need a second mechanical fixing, so will need to use some screws on the second layer.
You could have screwed up and spotted your screws, let them dry and then spotted again.
Remember if you are double boarding to overlap your joints, so the first layer of board joint are not in the same place as the second layer.
The dry-wall adhesive between the boards could also make it difficult for the second layer to sit right, I think it will just over complicate the installation.

why would you need a second mechanical fixing...

the adhesive is designed for double boarding...if you have to double board..

and how would the second layer not sit right...

It is difficult to predict how good a system is as quoted figures tend to be weighted for speech interference. If you want to isolate low frequencies then you might be disappointed.

With staggered studs AND two layers of Soundbloc plasterboard AND high-density mineral wool in-between you might achieve 60dB improvement in speech interference.

how will staggered studs help...

why would you need a second mechanical fixing...

the adhesive is designed for double boarding...if you have to double board..

and how would the second layer not sit right...
The second fixing would hold the board in place whilst adhesive is curing plus will reduce load stress on the paper surfaces of the boards.

If you dabbed in between the boards, there is a possibility that the adhesive would not evenly spread. this could cause a wobbly in the board/uneven surface.
Like I said sounds like an over complicated procedure, when just screwing up second board will accomplish what is needed in less time with less hassle!

how will staggered studs help...
Air-borne sound excites double layer of plasterboard. Plasterboard excites air in cavity where sound is absorbed by mineral wool. Remaining sound excites opposite layer of plasterboard. Opposite layer of plasterboard excites air in adjacent room. The impedance mismatch between heavy/stiff plasterboard and light/flexible air keeps most energy within each layer where is can be absorbed.

Otherwise, without staggered studs, there is a direct mechanical coupling between the two surfaces - sound excites whole wall which then excites air in adjacent room.

Prentice. I am walling off a part of a long dining room to construct a downstairs toilet and breaking out a door onto the hallway. So it is really to reduce toilet noises transmitted to dining room. To be honest the wc and dining room would only be used simultaneously at very infrequent intervals.

Are we being too fussy? I had intended to use double sheeting of ordinary PB each side and mineral wool which would exceed Building regs. (BRegs say 2 sheets of 10kg/m2 board or one sheet of 10kg/m2 board plus 25mm of 10kg/m3 mineral wool. as far as I can see for refurb interior wall))

BTW Geraint is not Welsh

You'll more than likely to be in compliance with building regs, but we like to keep the noise down on this website.
ajrobb is offering you sound advice (forgive the pun) on reduceing the noise to a minimal. Belt/Braces ;)
BTW
He's got Welsh blood in him and the sheep have also got a bit of Welsh inside them, only a bit mind ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back