Attaching stud wall to concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm currently about to start renovating my garage, which has carpet on the walls/floor (previous owner...).

Now he has put stud walls on 90% of the inside so I can plasterboard it pretty easily, but we have an area of concrete blocks on the house side that he hasn't touched and I'm going to put a stud wall over them, my question is, how the heck to I attach the wood studs to concrete?

I'm thinking concrete screws or adhesive? As for concrete screws do I need anything special (drill/drill bit wise)...

Thanks in advance! :)

Sponsored Links
Hammer fix fasteners are a norm, avail at most builders merchants etc. etc.

Thanks guys, think I'll go with the Hammer Fixings, whilst I like the idea of a nail gun, I know how accurate I am and unless it has a sight I'd probably end up shooting next doors cat...:)

And having just ripped off some of the carpet, I've found he has used 16mm thick wood batons on the rest of the walls, which is helpful...not!

Sponsored Links
Originally I was going to insulate all of it, but with only 16mm batons being used I'm not going to bother, so dot and dab is a pretty good idea!

On the note of 16mm batons, I have 12.5mm plasterboard, and now will be using 25mm screws, which will obviously only give me 12.5mm of hold in the wood, will this be enough?

I'm planning on using quite a few screws and was thinking about putting some PVA/no more nails on the wood to give extra hold on the board, also I wont be hanging anything on these walls so there will be no strain on them...think I'll be ok?

Dot and dab would be easier overall but it's a messy job and not as accurate as fixing batons. 25mm drywalls will be fine just don't sink the heads in too far, if its a problem you can always angle the screws slightly.
A bit of no nails will be fine.

Dot and dab would be easier overall but it's a messy job and not as accurate as fixing batons.

I agree, it CAN be messy but i disagree regards accuracy.

If the wall is poorly built i.e. blocks sticking out, ridges, compo blobs or if the wall is out of plumb then it is a case of a lot of fiddling with the battens like chopping or packing.

I can get a true as your boots wall with dot and dab a whole lot quicker and to a high (accuracy) standard than i ever can with battens.

To be fair its only a 2m x 1m area of very flat breeze blocks, so dot and dab will be a lot faster than putting a stud wall up!

Although I already have the stud wall timber now so need to find something to do with it...:)

Use adhesive foam. No mess out of the can, and you won't get any pattern staining from cold plaster dabs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back