tool for cleaning Stelrad finned rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a tool which would clean out the dust and cobwebs which accumulate in the fins of my Stelrad radiators? It will take hours, I know, and I think they are a ridiculous design. They can't work efficiently if they get stuffed up with dirt but I haven't found a way of getting it out. Had no probs with the old fashioned straight doubled panelled rads in our previous house. What's the point of the fins anyway? They certainly don't look very nice.

Sponsored Links
The point is the same as why the put fins on the engine blocks of motor cycles, they conduct the heat away.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a tool which would clean out the dust and cobwebs which accumulate in the fins of my Stelrad radiators?
I was in my local Hillier Garden centre yesterday and saw that they were selling radiator cleaning brushes! Long thin thing which will go down inside the fins.

What's the point of the fins anyway?
They increase the output of the radiator. A single panel 1000mm x 600mm rad without fins produces 610W. The same rad with fins produces 1000W; a 64% increase.

Sponsored Links
D Hailsham -

Thanks but we don't have a Hillier on the doorstep and I couldn't find a rad. brush on their website. Do you know for a fact that it would get between the fins?

Maybe a baby feeding bottle cleaning brush fitted to a cane would work.

Do you know for a fact that it would get between the fins?
Wouldn't like to guarantee it!

If you Google "radiator cleaning brush", several come up which look as if they would do the job; including some on Ebay for a few quid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back