Relative efficiency of finned vs unfinned rads.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace some old single and double steel radiators. These rads have no fins and I would like to know what is the relative efficiency of modern finned single and double rads. In other words how much smaller would a finned radiator have to be compared to an unfinned one for the same heat output.

Sponsored Links
You should not be worrying about what you are worrying about :LOL:

Measure your room, ceiling height, etc and take them to a plumbers merchants who will work out the correct Kw of each rad for each room.
Finned rads increase the surface area to get more heat out of each rad and are the norm these days. :D

If you go to a plumbers merchant they will sell you what they stock. If you look on the manufactures web sites they will give you the BTU's of radiators, what you need is to calculate your heat requirement, and thee are sites for that.

Just swop em for the same size and fit TRV's and a room stat, it aint gonna make enough difference to warrant fitting smaller rads and then having to alter our pipe centers.

Sponsored Links
To answer your question I reckon on a rad about 2/3 the size of the un finned.
Suggest you follow the sage advice already given

The answer to the original question is that ALL radiators are 100% efficient!

All the heat output is used to heat the room with no loss.

Of course what the original poster meant is what is the relative heat output increase from adding fins. The answer is about 30-40%.

However that is irrelevant. The correct procedure is to fit the same size finned rad with a TRV and it will give faster warm up and better temperature control. Just as stated above!

Tony Glazier

Have checked a few makes in the past, and found the convector fins add 30 to 33% to the output.

Do you mean, without going all around the world... you are considering changing you`re old radiators, & how do I choose new ones? & will they be as hot?.....is that the general idea???

Makes you wonder if it's all a conspiracy, we fit finned rads in place of standard hence more output which is gonna make your condenser condense longer and we paid for it all in the price of the rad plus the extra vat, looks like the goverment has managed to rake in more revenue or am I just paranoid.
Just because your paranoid doesnt mean their not out to get you.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Just swop em for the same size and fit TRV's and a room stat, it aint gonna make enough difference to warrant fitting smaller rads and then having to alter our pipe centers.

Actually this is exactly what I had planned to do until I was told you can't fit TRVs to rads on a one pipe system which is what I have, although I still don't understand why this is so. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Malcolmkeith said:
PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:

Actually this is exactly what I had planned to do until I was told you can't fit TRVs to rads on a one pipe system which is what I have, although I still don't understand why this is so. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Think of it as a long hose pipe, if you put a kink in it, will water come out of the end? Same with a single pipe system fitted with a trv.
The trv is the kink.

hello if a one pipe sys is installed correctly YOU CAN FIT TRV so what is the problem/reason for not fitting them

bripl
hello if a one pipe sys is installed correctly YOU CAN FIT TRV so what is the problem/reason for not fitting them

Im not a plumber ..but 1 pipe is '1 PIPE' as has been said its like a hose with a kink & trv is the kink...SO HOW WILL IT WORK?

if you install a one pipe sys and turn off the first rad HOW DOES THE REST WORK now think before you answer.also how do you balance the sys

onepipe.gif

like this :LOL: :LOL: ;)

i have been told you can get trv's for a one pipe systen never seen them tho
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back