Comment on Wiring Diagram FAQs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
FAQ This is all very helpful, but why encourage people who obviously don't know what they are doing to potentially.

1. Do it wrong
2. Cause injury to themselves or others
3. Do a QUALIFIED Electrician out of work and
4. Potentially break the law

:evil:

Sponsored Links
FAQ This is all very helpful, but why encourage people who obviously don't know what they are doing to potentially.

1. Do it wrong
3. Do a QUALIFIED Electrician out of work and

:evil:

1 & 2. Surely it's better to give someone a guide (with images to follow) than have them go in blind and get it disastrously wrong?

3. People will always attempt DIY, hence why you're posting on a DIY forum.

4. There's plenty of literature on this website regarding what's legal and what isn't.

Absolutely not. It encourages people to attempt something they don't understand and know little about. Someone can look at this and do it in their own house and it may work, they then decide through this recently discovered confidence that they can be an electrician (as they've done it in their own house). One of these new electricians calls round to your mums house and do some wiring, only this time they do it wrong. Not only has it cost your mum money but could also cause injury or death.

Electrics aint wood or bricks and it won't get your carpet wet. Fine DIY like this but not electric. It dangerous, starts fires and can kill. Not to mention the work if carried out will be illegitimate.

Posts like this do not help.

Argument and rhetoric such as yours are dangerous and could be applied to anything in society. People are going to take drugs come what may, so why not tell people how to make their own?

In Canada people can't even buy a socket unless they are qualified (note I don't use the word competent) and look at their economy and building sector in comparison to ours.

3 week courses to become and Electrician or a Plumber. A joke and a disgrace!

unless they are qualified

So that makes them competent does it? :rolleyes:

I've seen so called qualified electricians work and they are far from competent. :rolleyes:

and look at their economy and building sector in comparison to ours.
The canadians had a responsible government unlike the 13 year nu labour shambles in the uk.

Sponsored Links
1. Do it wrong
How can providing information on how to do a job properly encourage people to do it wrongly?

That can happen regardless of whether they have the right information or not.

3. Do a QUALIFIED Electrician out of work
Not likely. The sort of people who do electrical and other work themselves will never pay anyone to do it for them. They will either do it themselves, get their neighbour/relative/friend to help, or just won't bother.

This site and many others contain all of the required information as to what is legal and what isn't. Doing electrical and other building work in your own home is not illegal, provided that people follow the correct procedures.
If people want to break the law, not providing information won't stop them.

Any building materials can be used improperly and can kill people. Brick walls and timber roof structures can collapse. Leaking pipes can cause mould, rot and damage to structures. Gas can leak and cause fires/explosions. Garden tools can cause serious injury. Kitchen knives can be used as murder weapons.

Preventing people from purchasing sockets or anything else just results in defective and damaged items never being replaced. In the case of a broken socket, if Mr DIY can't buy a new one, then it simply won't be replaced. More likely to be fixed up with whatever inappropriate materials are available, or just left in a damaged state.

Leave it to the professionals.

You're encouraging people to break the law. If you say this is how you wire a light, do you think that people will say thanks i'll do it in my hall but not my kitchen.

Why bother sending anyone to college to be a tradesman? All we need is to have wiring diagrams put on here.

Why not encourage people to plumb their own gas?

People don't know, what they don't know, if they don't know it. Work it out. Maybe if you'd have gone to college for 4 years and sat all the exams your point would be worth listening to. The trouble is, is that amateurs don't know what the professionals do and don't like to have their deficiencies pointed out to them.

Would you also like to remove books, containing information on how to do electrical work safely, from sale to the general public?

Can't wait for the Louis Theroux meets Edzblue show. Sounds like he would make the Phelps family come across as moderates. :LOL:

Sour grapes, if you don't like the site, the content, the ethos to help- just go away.

When you get all the sheds and suppliers to sell only the JIB or scheme members, then (just) maybe you could argue a point.

Your stance seems self protecting, have you not got any work on at the moment :LOL:

You seem to perceive that only a sparks should work on electrics. Do you really think all aspects of our industry is rocket science and that all DIYers should be banned from doing adds, moves and changes ?

Since electricity was first supplied do you not accept that a percentage of non sparky peeps have worked on such electrical services ?

No one would disagree with the requirement for working safely and leaving any work done in a safe, functional and correct order. I think most would disagree that ALL work is outside scope of anyone other than a time served C&G spark.

Next your be saying I can't service my car, do the brakes, fill up fluids because it's dangerous if I do that incorrectly.

I think that some people do have an expectation beyond capability and that such people are dangerous to themselves and others, but that's life.

As a spark what gives you the right to:=

Paint your house, since you haven't got a cert to do so
Service your car, since you haven't got a cert to do so
Put new software on a PC, since you haven't got a cert to do so
Tweak data routers and add wireless devices, since you haven't got a cert to do so
Do plumbing works, since you haven't got a cert to do so
Do gardening, since you haven't got a cert to do so

Can you see what I'm getting at- If you believe you have skill sets outside your job, what's wrong with employing those skill sets and maybe some advice along the way ?

So unless you can honestly say I have never done anything other than work I've trained for years to do, then your rantings are simple double standards.

I'll let you in to a secret, after bashing out back boxes- I'm use bonding and refinish the walls :eek: How naughty is that, I never trained as a plasterer :D

Next your be saying I can't service my car, do the brakes, fill up fluids because it's dangerous if I do that incorrectly.

Argh, don't suggest it, someone in Downing St will hear you! :eek: :LOL: (I actually seem to recall there is a push from the EU to do just that, and outlaw anyone but dealerships & registered garages from working on cars :( )

It is odd that people seem to realise that dodgy brake repairs put them at risk ( of losing a non claims bonus ) but do not realise the dangers of dodgy electrical work in their house.

The MOT and "stop and inspect" laws reduce the number of dangerous vehicles on the roads. Some bad DIY car repairs do get through the system but if the driver is determined to DIY then they will risk the stop and inspect until the next MOT when the work will be spotted and repaired before an MOT pass can be given.

So banning DIY repairs on cars is not so important.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back