Bit of newbie work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
JR's post the other day prompted me I'd not posted anything in a while ;)

Just finishing the hall, and whilst it is not a massive achievement by pro standards, I am pleased with it because it had a mixture of things to consider, and techniques I've learnt over my time on the forum from you guys.
With the steel beam in there, there was some work with plasterboard.
I filled with float & set the bare block areas, and the whitewashed area on the left of the 2nd pic was new plaster - but about 3/4" inch out from plumb (where the builder had blocked up the old internal window) so I built it back level with the rest.
The yellow paint areas were old plaster underneath and a nasty shiny emulsion from eons ago, which is not fun to skim over.
Finally the reskim after taping all the joins brought it all together. :D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys :D

Unfortunately running out of rooms in the house now. :confused:
Still got the lounge to do - which is the largest, so was saving to last.
Will post some pics when I'm done.

i know newbie has been a member longer than me but does anyone else feel like thier little boy is all grown up now haha :LOL:

jrplastering";p="1 965434 said:
i know newbie has been a member longer than me but does anyone else feel like thier little boy is all grown up now haha :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

:LOL:
Been away for Easter & just got back online.
Yeah been a member for a while now.
Tho I think the work rate needs to pick up. 7 rooms of walls & 1 lid in 2.5 years! ;)

Mind, when I joined I thought the username would encourage replies with a bit of tolerance. Maybe the 'L' plates should prob come off now and get a new username! ;)

:LOL:
Been away for Easter & just got back online.
Yeah been a member for a while now.
Tho I think the work rate needs to pick up. 7 rooms of walls & 1 lid in 2.5 years! ;)

Mind, when I joined I thought the username would encourage replies with a bit of tolerance. Maybe the 'L' plates should prob come off now and get a new username! ;)

It's when you think you know it all you're in trouble!!

Nice work there.

It's when you think you know it all you're in trouble!!

Understood - well aware just scratching the surface (if you pardon the pun)

There's a phrase to learning that I've heard at work and I quite like -
(don't think I've used it on here)
Unconscious Incompetence
Conscious Incompetence
Conscious Competence
Unconscious Competence

I have got one question I found when I was doing this bit of wall.
Still struggling to get a tidy finish at the bottom and still leave a gap to the floor.

I think on a previous post a long time ago someone suggested fitting a strip of wood and work to this, which can also help fitting skirting later.
However, in this case, I was only doing a short length and building on top of previous layers (not starting from brickwork).
I know it will be hidden by skirting, but I'd like to improve technique.

looks fine to me mate aslong as you ran the trowel accross is (from side to side) as to make sure theres not a ramp at the bottom and flatten off any snots (obviously you do this while the plasters wet still)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back