ADE Optima home alarm

ASR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have returned from a weeks holiday to find the alarm isn't working.
It will not set/unset and is not beeping when pressing the buttons.
The lights are showing which zone is detecting movement which isn't
something I've noticed it do before. I think various settings can still be
accessed by the menu but cannot find anything in the manual that helps.
It's the ADE Optima Compact with LED Keypad and was installed two
years ago.

Can anyone advise me what the problem may be ?

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
No I've never opened the sealed unit as it's wired to the mains.
It was installed by a professional and haven't had any problem with it since.

If that may be the cause of the problem would appreciate to know how to change the battery ?

Thanks.

the ADE optima range is susceptible to `watchdog` fault, this little bit of electronics is there to monitor the electronics, so if there is a major fault
IE the battery is to low and or taking to much voltage/current, the panel will `lock out`
also if the external sirens SAB (bell box module) is faulty it will do the same.

so first off,
change the back up battery

power the panel down, ignore the noise form the siren outside (if it works that shows that the module is ok)
replace the backup battery
enter your code to shut the noise up,
replace the cover
reconnect the mains supply
done!

but remember the panel runs off of the MAINS so be VERY CAREFUL around it because ELECTRICITY CAN KILL!!

hope this helps
Oasis

• Thanks
Reactions: ASR
Sponsored Links
Oasis Technical - many thanks for the detailed info.

I have replaced the battery with a like for like new one -and also the fuse- however this hasn't resolved the problem.

There is still no sound from the unit nor the external alarm and is not setting/unsetting (and now the tamper light is on).

Is there anything else I can try or is it a job for the engineer ?

There is still no sound from the unit nor the external alarm and is not setting/unsetting (and now the tamper light is on).

Is there anything else I can try or is it a job for the engineer ?

did the external bellbox make sound when you undid the cover to replace the battery?

I did not hear any sound - from the external bellbox or the internal unit when removing the battery.
There hasn't been any noise since I first noticed the problem, the only difference upon changing the battery was the tamper light coming on.

well I can only think that the SAB has gone in the external sounder and has caused it to tamper.
get the prices of 3 local engineers and get the best one out to fix it

sorry I couldn't help!

• Thanks
Thanks for your replies - I shall make some enquiries, the next obstacle is the previous occupants
had a conservatory built on the back and the external box is above it, which may hamper access... :unsure:

There is a box on the front also but I'm almost certain it's a dummy box.
Although I suspect I may have to have it or a replacement wired up.

did the external bellbox make sound when you undid the cover to replace the battery?
Why would it do that then?

because if the SAB hadn't gone it would have sounded
I was trying to help distinguish what was wrong
No it wouldn't, the internal sounder should operate in that situation.

The external sounder should operate only if its cover is removed, the hold off supply is removed or an alarm signal is sent from the control panel.

Not if the control panel lid is removed.

• Thanks
sorry europlex, how did I forget that?!
also, I'm kind of new here so please forgive me if I seem a bit stupid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back