RCBO intermitent trip overnight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - have had a Mira shower running back to an MCB for 2 yrs and working fine. Recently replaced the MCB with RCBO (30mA) for extra safety/security. Runs shower fine for ages; no faults/stipping. However, at other times during day/night when shower has not been in use, the RCBO trips (for no aparent reason). Any thoughts?

Also, I understand an RCD is not requied legally, tho obviously desirable for safety. Is this still true? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
yes its true though i wouldn't personally wan't to fit a shower without one.

possiblly an intermittent N-E fault somewhere in the shower cuircuit. i'd say start by checking all cables and connections that you can get at.

another posisbility is that someone has borrwed a neutral from the shower cuircuit.(many rcbos don't isolate the neutral so you won't notice until you go to try and use the shower that something has tripped it).

DC Sence RCBO's can trip when you have an earth fault on the installation.

A lost neutral supply to the RCBO will also trip most makes.

Plus what was said above.

Sponsored Links
going back to what plug said about a borrowed neutral, you could disconnect the neutral to the ahower circuit at the cu (put it in a terminal block out the way, and leave the rcbo switched off, turn off main isolator while working in cu btw) turn on isolator, make sure all breakers except the shower rcbo are on, and go round your house and see what else apart from the shower doesn't work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back