Electrical Testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just purchased a Fluke 1651 tester and am not quite sure how to test circuits as the instruction are very vague. The tests that it can perform are as follows:

Continuity
Earth loop inpedance
Insulation resistance
RCD testing

Does anyone know of any good websites that teach you what you would expect with each method and where and how you would connect the tester.

Many thanks....

Sponsored Links
Don't fluke have a CDROM or DVD showing you how?

Get in touch!

• GN3
  • Scaddan's Inspection, Testing & Certification
  • Amicus' Electrician's Guide to Inspection & Testing (get a discount if you buy their Electrician's Guide to good electrical practice at the same time.

Also try your local colleges for C&G 2391 courses?

In what capacity do you propose to carry out testing?

Sponsored Links
I have tried to get the 2391 course booked but it is not available until November!!!!!

Is there a book that shows you where you should connect the test leads for each test, especially the insulation resistance test.

I know i sound like a bit of a muppet but not used to these testers..... Please help.

thanks to all.

klystron said:
Is there a book that shows you where you should connect the test leads for each test, especially the insulation resistance test.

On site guide and the books listed by BAS show how to conduct insulation reststance tests. As for how to use a particular instrument, the only book which you are likely to obtain for it is the instruction book which came with it.

Try different pairs of sockets. Grasp the business ends of the probes, and press the button to do an IR test.

The pair of sockets that make you shout "Oh ****" are the ones...

Sigh.......Reminds me of my apprenticeship down at Marconi. One Megger tester, one large capacitor, one workbench, one unsuspecting colleague - the fun we had.......

All, thanks to those that actually tried to help.

The tester manual that comes from fluke might as well be used to wrap fish and chips..... I have found the info that i need and didnt realise how easy it is.

Thanks again.....

Hi, i registered with the NICEIC and they sent me through a book on testing and inspection. I have had a look at the books that were mentioned in this thread and they are very good.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back