Talk Talk Phone Line Problem. Help!

R

robg172

Hi,

I've developed a fault on my Talk Talk phone line, in where I'm losing the dial tone. Sometimes when this happens I also lose the internet, other times I have no phone but have internet. When there is no dialtone, it just sounds like the line is open - such as when someone is still on the hook.

Bizarrely, if I ring the line - the dialtone often comes back? This doesn't always work, as the line doesn't always ring but just goes to voicemail.

When testing, I get the same results with just 1 handset plugged into the master socket and no other equipment attached (e.g. router, micro filters)

The phone and internet have been working fine previously, so I’m confident no internal wiring is at fault.

Any ideas?

:?:

Sponsored Links
unplug everything go to the master socket with a handset and see what happens

gradually plug everything back in one at a time checking the line at the master with each insertion

just remember the internet will work over one wire where as the phone won't

if the fault is on your network it will cost you around £120 for the call out and not nessicery fix the problem just be sure before calling them out

http://help.talktalk.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/1424

Bizarrely, if I ring the line - the dialtone often comes back?

That's not an uncommon fault. Corrosion can cause a connection to go high resistance, but the ringing voltage is high enough to break down the corrosion and establish a circuit path again - For a time.

As above, isolate your internal wiring and check at the network interface with a known good phone. If the problem is still there, it's an outside line fault.

just remember the internet will work over one wire where as the phone won't

Indeed it will, and many forget this.
I had similar at my last property, BT insisted it was a problem in my house. I knew it wasnt. After the 3rd "engineer tried and said no fault found I made an official complaint. Then with my own tracking gear traced the fault to 140 mts away towards the street box. The issue, a badly made joint.
Another attended and this was then fixed by them after my repair. I was never charged and indeed got a refund for rental charges.

Just be very sure it is not a fault in your property, is the moral here.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Engineer came onsite and didn't find any issues with the internal wiring. Now passed to BT Openreach to investigate. I've now got a total line failure, but internet still ok :)

So frustrating, I could have told them this and saved me and the engineer wasted time.

Funny enough the line check Talk Talk did with the engineer onsite failed. The 2 other occasions it passed, go figure!

O well, should be fixed soon!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back