Ideal Icos HE24 control panel fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler has been working fine but the condensate trap leaked and seems to have corroded one of the pcbs. Control panel displays only a line and boiler on light permanently. Only major problem is that the water temp seems to have defaulted to maximum.

Have replaced the control panel but the new unit has some jumpers which may be in the wrong place. The boiler still works fine but the control panel is still displaying the line (whether water or heating or both). Boiler light now off.

Any help?

Sponsored Links
USUALLY, the control panel is OK and the fault is on the back to back connector between the control panel and the cable plug.

In the meantime the main PCB usually fails as a result of overload on the power supply.

If you are not careful you risk failing your new main PCB!

Tony

Hmmm. Right. The old control panel displayed " - " and the boiler on light was on continually. The water and heating both work but the water temperature is on maximum.

The new one is similar. All still works, but still super hot water and just a " - ".

Any advice on ideal part number? Is it the controls housing?

Did you set the DIP switches to the same on the new as the old?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I misread your posting. It seems you were very lucky and the main PCB has survived ( probably ). I somehoe thought you had replaced the main PCB which does have jumpers rather than DIP switches. Since their electrical function is similar I think of them as the same!

I dont remember seeing jumpers on any control PCB. Didn't the instructions with it give any indication of the settings>

Maybe someone else will be able to advise the settings for a combi?

Tony

Boiler still working and both new and old control panel displays a dash. Neither has a working temperature control - always on max!

Any clues, anyone??

Have you inspected the back to back connector at the back of the display unit?

And scraped off the usual carbonate deposit from both PCB and socket?

One wonders where the Ideal staff service engineers are when you want them. They go to aboiut 10 every day! The Ideal Icos/Isar are becoming such a problem now they are 10 years old that I try to avoid fixing them now. I probably dont do more than 4-5 a year.

I installed 7 of them when they first came out as they were good value and looked like a good boiler. Of course what I did not know was that the main PCB has no protection from overloads and becomes damaged if there is the slightest overload from leaking water from the AAV.

I still dont see how the condensate trap can damage the control unit.

Tony

Yup, back to back cleaned and looks ok.

Seems very odd that all working but display and temp control not working but then I guess it defaults to max temperature

Although it would be unusual, it sounds as if the main PCB may have been damaged!

But that assumes the cable harness and connectors really are 100%.

Tony

any clue as to a part number for the connectors? I'd rather prefer to replace these first before the expensive main board.

Either user control board, purple lead, user housing or main pcb as "dot dash " in display means boards are not "talking" to each other.

Can you order the purple lead or control housing? If so a part number would be greatly appreciated. I have tried a new control panel as above but no success.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back