Car wash not working properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got called to a petrol station this morning in a emergency. They had there meter replaced yesterday evening and now none of the pumps would work and the car wash kept tripping the breaker.

Sponsored Links
Colour blind meter fitter?

Or a f***wit who thought the tape was just to brighten the area up?

Do you not have to prove phase rotation before and after a meter swap?

I've seen SP installs checked for polarity before and after a meter swap.

Sponsored Links
Do you not have to prove phase rotation before and after a meter swap?

I've seen SP installs checked for polarity before and after a meter swap.

Yes and yes and see the post above yours!

Criminally negligent. Did the installer think the coloured tape was for insulation reasons? As RFLighting has asked surely they are obliged to do a phase rotation test on the meter output?

It's not rocket science, I noticed something is wrong from the picture and I'm not an electrician!

it disturbs me that the person who did this was "deeemed" to be competant to work on the mains side.....Personally I cant help thinking this is yet another example of letting any old contractor loose on the network....Yes I appreciate that it isnt technically the network but it carries the same dangers and has the same potential to go badly wrong... :cry:

it disturbs me that the person who did this was "deeemed" to be competant to work on the mains side.....Personally I cant help thinking this is yet another example of letting any old contractor loose on the network....Yes I appreciate that it isnt technically the network but it carries the same dangers and has the same potential to go badly wrong... :cry:

Imagine if there was a three phase motor on the end of the circuit!

Are you saying that the DNO sub-contract meter installations?

EDIT: Thinking about it I guess the meter is not the concern of the DNO?

And more worryingly petrol pumps too.

Or petrol vacuums as they are now.

Are you saying that the DNO sub-contract meter installations?

The suppliers contract metering to meter operators (MOPS), they employ their own staff and also sub-contract.

Most of the MOPs staff are reasonable but with the very proscriptive rules placed by the suppliers some unusual things occur that lead yto conflict between the DNOs and the MOPs.
A lot of the meter operatives also tend to see things solely within the 17th edition as they don't understand that DNO equipment and meters are not covered by them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back