Kitchen under wall unit lighting

AB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to connect some slimline interlinking lighting to the underside of my kitchen wall units and connect them to an existing light switch. How would this be done???[/b]

Sponsored Links
it depends how your existing light switch has been wired, turn the mains off and have a look at how many wires are there (not counting the copper one connected to the box, which should be coloured green or green/yellow)

If it has been done as it should be done then you cannot connect your new lights to this switch, sorry.

However you can (no matter how it is done) connect the new lights to your existing lights, you would need to connect them colour to colour i.e. brown to brown, blue to blue this way they will come on when your existing lights do

So what if you have a double light switch and connect one circuit to the main kitchen lighting and the other to the unit lights?

Will this method not work?

i do not understand what you are saying.

if you are saying can you connect it across an existing 2 gang switch you can, but it wont work

Sponsored Links
What I meant to say was, if you have two lights in a room controlled by two switches, then can you not have the main kitchen light on one switch and the other controlling the lights, say spotlights over the units?

Sorry to be a novice but just wanted to know.

yes you can, but it would have to be wired like that in the first place.
(to be "picky" yes it could also be altered") but you can not connect another light across the switch and expect it to work as normal, as at the switch you have has a live and switched live, no neutral

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back