Compression Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Was undertaking some plumbing work over the weekend and have found that one of my compression fittings is leaky no matter how much i tighten it.

i have a flexi pipe coming from the original copper pipe connected to a smaller copper pipe which then fits to the tap connector. its those last two compression fittings that are leaking.

Is it possible to remove the middle shorter copper pipe and use something like this to connect the two flexi pipes together

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...ngs/specificationsSpecificProductType=sockets

also, this says its size is 19mm, does that mean the outer socket size is 19mm but would work well for the 15mm flexi male or is this for a 19mm pipe?

i'm its not ideal to have the two flexi hoses together but it was all i could and it was my first ever time pluming

Thanks

T

Sponsored Links
As you said 'Both' are leaking are you missing a washer or something from each connection?

Not so much a disaster so would of been better posting in plumbing and heating, But just undo your fittings again and apply a couple of turns of PTFE on the olives then retighten, should solve your problem.

don't over tighten your compression joint. that'll make it leak too. i always coat the inside of mine with boss green jointing compound.

Sponsored Links
[Yawn]

Why is it that no-one reads the instructions and data-sheets carefully prepared by makers of compression joints such as Conex and Kuterlite?

I think it's correct that ALL specify that joints under 42mm should be assembled without any additional sealants. Mineral oil lubricant only.

If you follow the assembly instructions and the joint components match (ie. are all the same size!), they will be watertight. End of.

And especially if you start decorating your joint with PTFE tape, it may not leak immediately but probably will later. Worse, because it seemed tight when it maybe wasn't, you run the risk of the whole joint coming off the pipe, with disastrous results.

Do what the manufacturers specify and even if a joint does fail, most of them in fact include an automatic warranty against failure of a properly-made joint. If you choose to do different, you're on your own! Even your insurance will be invalidated by your 'negligence'.

Depending on how old your pipework is it could be an imperial size pipe 1/2 inch rather than 15mm, you can get imperial olives from a plumbers merchants.:cool:

Why is it that no-one reads the instructions and data-sheets carefully prepared by makers of compression joints such as Conex and Kuterlite?

Perhaps because in 30 years of DIY I have never ever - ever been given any form of instruction/data sheet when purchasing compression joints from a plumbers supply shop, so I suspect the same is of the OP.

I am afraid that you are off your rocker if you think this information comes as standard when purchasing compression joints.
:LOL:

was thinking similar... never seen an instruction with a compression joint. obviously buying ones that aren't posh enough :p

As mentioned above, if you have over tightened this will cause the leak, the olive will be crushed if you have done this as a result... remove olives with pref olive puller if you have one, or very carefully with hacksaw (dont damage pipe, if you do damage pipe cut of damaged section) and use new olives, tighten up then do 1/4 of turn more, turn back on water, tighten tiny bit more if required... If they on hot feed, they most likely to leak when cold, so check for leaks when cold.....
If you really not having any luck, try the old "speed fit", which hard to do wrong, but cost more.....
Good luck!

As mentioned above, if you have over tightened this will cause the leak, the olive will be crushed if you have done this as a result... remove olives with pref olive puller if you have one, or very carefully with hacksaw (dont damage pipe, if you do damage pipe cut of damaged section) and use new olives, tighten up then do 1/4 of turn more, turn back on water, tighten tiny bit more if required... If they on hot feed, they most likely to leak when cold, so check for leaks when cold.....
If you really not having any luck, try the old "speed fit", which hard to do wrong, but cost more.....
Good luck!
If you use the speedi fit make sure you twist the locking collar fully. Otherwise you have done it wrong!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back