Hotpoint WF860P. Water being drawn back into empty drum?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. My brand new Hotpoint WF860P has had this problem from day one. After about a day of inactivity I open the door to find water in the drum. I assume it's from the overflow hose that is plugged into the U Bend. I have positioned the height of the hose well above the drum. Infact the entire plumbing set up is exactly the same as used for 9 years on my old Creda. That never had a problem. Could it be a faulty shut off valve? Is that possible on a brand new machine? Hotpoint have told me it could be the shut off valve. But alas refused me a replacement machine (as do Comet) after only 2 weeks. Please help.

Sponsored Links
if ther water is clean without odour then its almost certainly one or both of your solenoid valves.
if its dirty water or smelly it will be back filling from your sink although hotpoints do have a basic non return valve at the drain pump.
where your drain hose comes through the side of your sink unit base, try to pull as much slack through as possible and form a bend upwards and the down to your u-bend. this will discourage foul water from running back down the machines drain hose.
if it turns out to be the valves then just let them fit them, it will literally take the person a couple of minutes.
while they are there get them to check the machine over, after all it will at least have had attention probably greater that any replacement machine which is better in the long run.

If these new machines are anything like the WMAs it will have not only a non return valve in the sump hose but also a rubber flap device in the pump outlet to prevent backfilling.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back