Hotpoint CTD040 Condenser Dryer Does Not Spin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any help would be much appreciated. The problem is my dryer, when I start it it tries to spin then gives up, it doesn't budge an inch. When I try to turn it by hand its so difficult, I can barely move it. How can I check what has failed? Is it the bairings? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Motor seize / pulley jammed / belt snagged Remove the lid and have a look.

I have had a look and all seems ok. The belt seems ok, no snag, the pulley turns. The dryer works for approx 10 minutes then the motor starts to make a whirring noise and it starts to struggle then stops, I can also hear screeching coming from somewhere, I think its the bearing, any more ideas?

Pulley wheel is poss loose is there any play in it. Run it with the right side off and see.

Sponsored Links
It does move left and right slightly but I wouldn't say its loose. I took the grey half moon cover off the dryer at the back to reveal the bearing and unscrewed it which then dropped the drum, I sprayed it with wd40. I wanted to take the drum out but it looks complicated to get the belt off. I put it back together and press start. It wouldn't budge and is now harder than ever to turn by hand. I noticed smoke coming from the left hand side rear, what can that be from?

I don't think the drum is sat correctly now, causing the drum to not budge. I'll take it apart again.

The teardrop pad on the back has poss worn or the shaft has broken. Is there a screw on the back under that cover you removed.

Yes, there is a screw there, I removed it along with the holding clip, I couldn't see the shaft without removing the drum

Is the teardrop pad split or worn. If you shine a torch in the hole you can see if the shaft is worn it should be the same thickness as the end bit. But as it enters the hole is it thinner.

The tear drop looks good, the shaft looks good. I've now noticed that with power off the motor does not turn 1 way by hand, the belt just slips round the metal motor shaft. With the power on the motor seizes completely and doesn't budge by hand at all. It looks like the motor do you think?

Yep looks that way. Motor is gonna be expensive.

Ok, I've managed to get hold of a 2nd hand motor. My job for the weekend is to get it fitted, but it looks quite tricky.
Has anyone got any tips on were to start with removing the motor?
It would be much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back