Ceraminc Floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are laying a ceramic floor over concrete in our 12 x 30 foot enclosed patio. We're concerned about the floor being too cold in the winter. We are also installing a gas stove. Any suggestions on products to warm the floor that aren't too costly? We will be using an area rug. Are there rug products available that can be heated like electric blankets?

Sponsored Links
You say enclosed, is this enclosed as in conservatory or is it exposed to the elements still?

Will it be subject to frost, snow, rain etc?

The patio is enclosed. It was built on to the back of the home between two rooms on each side. The only outside wall has 3 sets of sliding patio doors. It isn't exposed to the outside elements, and currently has a carpet and padding on top of the concrete floor. The carpeting is being removed and the ceramic tile laid on top of the concrete which is level and clean. A classic style vented gas stove is being installed in this room.

You could fit electric underfloor heating, I'm not sure what's available in the USA as this is generally a UK based site (you are still very welcome).

Do a Google serch on a product called Warmup electric underfloor heating, this will give you an idea of what I mean.

You then need to find US manufacturers

Sponsored Links
Yes, the underfloor heating is probably the best suggestion. I'd say go for the electric type though, as although the water type systems can be slightly cheaper to run, they can be a pain if they go wrong or worst leak.

I think electric is the probably the way to go but make sure the product you get has an earthed screen as a safety measure. It should have protection against both water (i.e. water proof) and against damage (i.e. something to shut off the circuit.

With regards to heating the rug up, I couldn't imagine how to do it short of an electric blanket (i.e. NOT recommended). But that would be too much of a risk IMO and the cost of the eletric underfloor heating is not prohibitive at all, will add value to your house, is safer, and has a host of features such as thermostat control, timer, etc etc.

Regards

please note 7 forum rules

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back