Sime super 4 won't ignite.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I'm new here and have a recurring problem which I hope you can help with?
I have a Sime super 4 boiler and have been getting a problem where it all works fine for anywhere between 1 and 3 hours. Then what happens is the fan continues to run but the boiler will not ignite. when switched off and then back on again it usually works for one time then fails again, although the fan never stops running and continues to pump ever cooling water around the radiators?
I have fitted a new fan and yesterday a new air press switch, all to no success................................. Water pressure cold is about 0.6 bar and when hot just about 2.0 bar.
HELP plesae where do I look next and/or who do I contact.

Sponsored Links
a competent engineer would be a good start who would service the boiler correctly you have already listed a fault on the boiler which requires attention.

Changing the fan or APS is a job for a CORGI registered engineer.

Any competent engineer would diagnose the fault first and then replace the relevant component.

I would be looking at the temperature sensors and the PCB.

Rushing in and changing the first thing you see is likely to be an expensive option. In fact changing the entire boiler might have been a better option for you!

Tony Glazier

Hi Guys, thanks for that. However after 2 CORGI registered guys, one telling me one thing and one, another this is the situation I find myself in!
So To my original question................. OR can you reccommend a GOOD PLUMBER in my area who I can rely on to give me good service and information?
When I got home tonight, the whole thing was working perfectly. It had swithced it's self on at 4:00pm but by 6:30, we were back to the same old problem. Water circulating, fan running but no ignition and the fan would not stop until switched off.
Thanks for your indulgance and HELP.

Sponsored Links
Why do I get this feeling that you have been calling plumbers to your boiler asking whats wrong, not paying them, and then fitting parts which are not required?

If you had paid them then it would have been their responsibility to find the fault and fix it for you.

Perhaps they sussed out what you were doing and told you of the wrong part on purpose?

Tony

Well, firstly when I said 'I' have fitted, that should have read 'THE PLUMBERS FITTED' the parts AFTER making the diagnosis and CHARGED ME for the work :evil:
I get the feeling you(Tony) are about as much good as these previous guys and I won't bother you any more on this forum.
I am dissapointed but find and have found over the years that in my experience plumbers are difficult to get to do a job, after tracking them down and then pluck your eyes out for poor or inapropriate work.
Good day.

You must understand that all I know about your boiler is what you tell me. When you say " I have fitted... " then I assume thats what happened!

Right, this CORGI registered engineer diagnosed the fan was faulty and replaced it. It did not cure the problem and I would not expect it to do so.

You, as the customer, should expect the fault to be correctly diagnosed and not to have to pay for parts which are not required.

Now what does this engineer say about the situation?

Tony

PS Obviously engineers vary in their competency and some boiler faults, particularly intermittent ones, can be difficult to identify. I always recommend that you only engage someone who operates a No fix-No fee! That gets rid of the less competent! We repair boilers on a fixed price basis so its down to me to get it right first time!

Ok, thanks for the apology, Tony? I have contacted another plumber and asked him to call for a diagnosis. I really don't have any faith in the first guy and the original plumber who fitted and commissioned the boiler in 2000 has emigrated.
so, I will take your advice on, 'no fix, no fee' when he gets here and let you know the outcome.

Just be aware that some people who operate a no fix no fee will still charge you for the diagnose.

We certainly charge for diagnosing a fault! ( £74/£84 ! ).

Its too late to tell him when he arrives that YOU expect a No fix-No fee ! You must agree that with him on the telephone first! He may not feel confident enough to agree!

Some plumbers charge by the 1/2 hour whether they can help or not, just to attend!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back