Ariston has gone and gone and gone!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Ariston PC 640 GB cooker has suddenly (mid Sunday Lunch!) stopped working. With my electrical knowledge extending to re-setting a fuse and changing a plug I wondered if anybody could hazard a best guess as to what is wrong. The main fuse on the house board is Ok and the wall switch for the cooker is lit. Other than the hob gas ignition sparking it’s dead. Do cookers have their own integral changeable fuse?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is this a fan-assisted model? If so, is the fan running or not?

Common causes for this problem include a burnt-out element, a problem with the thermostat, and... the timer (if fitted) accidently switched to Auto rather than Manual - might be worth a check.

No, there's not usually an internal fuse in electric cookers as far as I know :(

Good luck,
Nick.

Is this a fan-assisted model? Yes and no the fan doesn't go. There seems to be no power at all. The digital display is blank. It is as if the power had been switched off at the mains, but it's not!

It shouldn't be too taxing to sort out, but you'd need a meter and some basic electronic knowledge to trace where the circuit is broken.

You can safely assume that the element and fan and thermostat are OK though :)

Good luck,

Nick

Sponsored Links
Is there a wiring diagram with the instruction book? Are you sure this is the correct model number for the oven, is it separate from the hob?
My oven did this last year (although not an ariston), it was down to a thermal fuse tied to a ceramic resistor on a PCB which had gone. It was easy enough to replace the board as it was showing signs of ageing, although all the plastic standoffs broke as well removing the board so I had to replace them too.

the circuit must be broke from the iso s/w to the oven as he said the light is on at the iso s/w, there might not be a problem with the circuit anyway dont know very much about cookers so could say waht else it could be sorry!

Some electric cookers do have in line fuses. Not sure about gas ones.

You say it's got a gas hob?

I've got a zanussi cooker with a gas hob and a fan oven. the electrical loading is low enough that it has a 13amp plug rather than a huge cable to the cooker outlet the builders sensibly provided.

IF yours is the same, see if the 13a plug fuse has gone.

PS since you say the spark ignition is running (presumably off the mains supply) the control circuit board, if there is one, sound more likely.

I don't suppose you've recently pulled the cooker out for cleaning, and disturbed anything?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back