Cooker hood vent hole problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the weekend i knocked a hole through my kitchen wall for my cooker hood vent, it is the 5" rectangular type.

All looked fine when i first knocked it through as the brick above the gap in the inner skin of the wall appeared to be spanning the hole i had made, but on closer inspection, after some of the excessivley thick mortar layer had fallen away i discovered that it was infact unsupported at one end, missing the remaining section of brick below by a matter of millimeters.

The problem is that about three bricks above this is joist from the room above and all of the bricks in between seems to be layed one directly on top of the other with no interlocking with the brickwork either side(its a victorian terrace).

There is no movement at the moment as the force from above is going down through the supported side of the brick but i am worried over time that there will be a fulcruming (if thats a word) and the whole lot will loosen.

My question is, is there anything i can do about this without ripping out loads of the wall and propping up the ceiling to put in a lintel, i was thinking of something along the lines of some steel box section mortared in which could go round the ducting and support the brick above?

Sponsored Links
take out the two bricks above and replace with a wooden lintel or steel and cement in, it will give you piece of mind and will stop the joist dropping and blocking the vent and ruining the floor.

I was kind of hoping there was something i could do which wouldn't require supporting the ceiling while the work was being done or taking off more of the plaster.

Sponsored Links
This is a solid wall? As there's no cavity, presumably you could make up some stiffish concrete and pack it into the gap around the liner? It will have to include some "sides" as well as a top and bottom.

I'd feel a bit more confident in this approach if it was a circular hole so you'd have an arch, but if you felt like it you could include a short piece of steel angle or mesh near the top and bottom of the concrete plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back