Leaking roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 8 years ago we had our kitchen extended. Last week I noticed a damp spot on the kitchen ceiling of the old kitchen. The ceiling is higher than the one in the extension. The damp spot is about 10 cm away from the lintel. Had a roofer out, suspected broken tiles on roof, water running into cavity wall, hitting the steel lintel, running across ceiling. Roofer could not find any problem with the house roof. He says that the step flashing on the kitchen extension was done incorrectly; water gets in with rain and wind from the north east. He told us to contact the builder and ask him to correct the flashing. Roofer also offered to speak to the builder. I am not very handy and just wanted a second opinion before contacting the builder who will not be pleased. Thanks for help!

Sponsored Links
How long ago? Just get it fixed, it can't be that bad if it's been dry for 8 years.

Sponsored Links
Did the install cavity trays?

Doubt its the leadwork to blame here.

noseall will be along soon to say what a waste of time cavity trays are ....
Only regards retro' fitting particularly in low risk exposure areas - exposure regarding the building elevation and area or location.

I just find it odd to smash out a load of bricks when there is a decent soffit or sills and stuff protecting the masonry.

Crackers.

We have fixed this very problem around about a dozen times now. Aparrently the maufacturers recommended way of flashing these tiles used to be without soakers, they have now changed this. Just very carefully peel up the flashings and insert soakers on top of the lower tile with the edge going under the tile above. This has solved it every time, although it's worth checking the integrity of the underlay or felt at the wall abutment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back